Lounger
    Thanks

I need a back-up device that works, easily

I have a Seagate Dashboard. It is supposed to be a back-up device. It has stopped working. What is a good piece of hardware that will not try to sell me an "upgrade" like Mimeo does? To buy the device, only to find that you need to buy an upgrade does not make me trust the company.

Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-19)

Thanks
    Office Max/Office Depot/Staples combine, Costco, Sam's Club, Fry's, etc. sell numerous 1-3 TB platter-clatter pancake hard-drives that can be reformatted and used with only your chosen software for backups and restores. Macrium Reflect comes to mind as one of many choices.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Office Max/Office Depot/Staples combine, Costco, Sam's Club, Fry's, etc. sell numerous 1-3 TB platter-clatter pancake hard-drives that can be reformatted and used with only your chosen software for backups and restores. Macrium Reflect comes to mind as one of many choices.
    Hi! I'm with RolandJS! Macrium Reflect is my choice also!

Thanks
    Any WD drive with encryption/SmartWare self-installing software/drivers and a non-standard drive interface, like the suggested Passport model is, will be a costly recovery job should anything go wrong (it does, see the 1* reviews for some examples). You can't connect the bare drive to anything and WD's answer when it goes kaput, helpfully suggesting some data recovery companies. Normal data recovery software will, at best, detect and perhaps recover a single encrypted file - that's all there is of your data, inaccessible except to $$-$$$ data recovery companies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2016-03-19)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Not sure what all is being said here! I just know I can replace my HD and restore my OS to that drive and it will be exactly like the day I created the image with Macrium Reflect. That's all I need in my arsenal.
    Been there and done that!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    ...a non-standard drive interface, like the suggested Passport model is, will be a costly recovery job should anything go wrong...
    I gave up on WD & Seagate offerings w/ non-standard drive interfaces long ago.

The Seagate one I had w/ a non-standard drive interface failed but the 2TB HDD inside had standard SATA and power connectors so I was able to fit it to a generic enclosure (but I had to break into the enclosure to get the HDD out).

Since then I use standard HDDs fitted to generic enclosures. My preference is Vantec http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/index/21
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-03-19)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi That sounds interesting. I think you are saying you use a standard HDD with a enclosure.
    I clicked on your link. Can you attach a screen shot of the enclosure you use.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Don't buy a WD Passport or similar automatic data-encription platter-clatter HD, unless you are wanting to have your images passworded and encripted.
    Holdum333 and I recommend staying with platter-clatter hard-drives that allow full format and allows user choice of backup/restore program[s].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    ...Can you attach a screen shot of the enclosure you use...
    Vantec.JPG

"Vantec NexStar CX"

About two years old, USB2, but Vantec has newer USB3 enclosures, e.g.: "Vantec NexStar NST-316S3-BK".
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-03-19 at 23:23. Reason: add model #
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin! I'm still confused. Is the HHD inside that closure?? This is what I think of when thinking about a encloser ! Sorry, don't mean to be a pest.
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Enclosur...node=160354011
    Capture48.JPG
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-03-19 at 23:31.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    ...Is the HHD inside that closure??...
    Yes, of course. It is a standard Seagate 2TB SATA HDD.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    OK Thanks Coochin! I have a seagate 1TB I use for all my back up images. It works great.
    It's old and large. I'm thinking about up grading to a newer one soon!

Thanks
    FWIW, my "WD My Passport 2TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black" was purchased from Amazon.com on 12/23/2012, lives in my right back pocket and is still going strong.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    I have a Seagate Dashboard. It is supposed to be a back-up device. It has stopped working. What is a good piece of hardware that will not try to sell me an "upgrade" like Mimeo does? To buy the device, only to find that you need to buy an upgrade does not make me trust the company.
    Well, to start with Dashboard is a management/backup program that comes/came with Seagate drives. I had a 2TB Seagate drive a number of years ago and uninstalled the Dashboard program shortly after I found that it wasn't what I wanted or needed.

Any decent external drive coupled with a good backup program (like Macrium Reflect Free) should do you just as well.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)