3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow opening attachments (Win 2000/Outlook XP)

I am using Outlook XP with Exchange Server and have
    When opening MS Word attachments from an email message, I am experiencing a significant delay (30-45 seconds). During this waiting time, the processor is not being used and there is no hard disk activity. I logged onto the same Exchange account with a slower computer running Outlook 2000 and there is no delay. Both computers are running the same version of Norton Anti-virus and I have tried it with NAV disabled. No differences. Big documents or small documents. Still a delay. I have seen this with the original XP up through SP1.

I have open large attachments such as zip files, bmp files, jpg files, and had no delay.

Has anyone else seen this or read anything about it? Does anyone have any ideas or answers?

Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Slow opening attachments (Win 2000/Outlook XP)

Just to rule out the Word configuration, what happens if you open a Word document from Windows Explorer with and without Word running? Similar? No delay?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow opening attachments (Win 2000/Outlook XP)

i'm not noticing a problem when i open docs, most are about 300 kb.

is there a AV program running on the server, using on demand scanning? the attachments are stored on the server and scanned as you open them.

also, did you disable word scanning? i don't think turning off NAV in the system tray always stops document scanning.

are you noticing any connection problems to the server? was ol2002 an upgrade over ol2000? have you tried it using a new profile to your mailbox on the ol2002 machine? are others having the same problems if they access their mailbox from your machine?

sometimes the network can be goofy - yesterday i was working with a wireless laptop (10mb connection) and left outlook open on my desktop (100mb) as i worked across the room on the laptop. Mail arrived at the laptop 5 sec faster all day long, usually it's slower and just enough to be an echo.