Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Losing Permissions

I'm running Win 7 Pro, SP-1 as Administrator. This is my home computer, and nobody else uses it.
    Occasionally, when I try to perform some action (for example, dragging a folder to the recycle bin), I get a message saying that I don't have permission to perform this task. Usually, a reboot will once again restore my permissions.

I don't understand why this happens, since even when I lose those permissions, I still appear to be logged on as Administrator. Any idea what causes this problem, and how to fix it permanently?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi This is quite long, but see if any thing here helps!
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...b-ff191271766d

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    holdum333,
    Thanks for the link. It is quite long, so it'll take a bit of time for me to get through it, but it looks like it might provide a solution for my issue.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    holdum333,
    Thanks for the link. It is quite long, so it'll take a bit of time for me to get through it, but it looks like it might provide a solution for my issue.
    Your very welcome! Good luck LesF. Maybe other members here will post a shorter solution to your issue!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It may be quicker to run the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com as that will reset your Permissions for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-19)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, re-booting resets my permissions. However, I occasionally (not frequently) lose them again. Is there any reason to assume that using Windows Repair to reset my permissions will prevent this from happening again?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows Repair runs a number of repairs which may fix why you are losing them.

Do you still lose your permissions in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys! Just thinking out load. Could there be a malware problem that is causing this??
    Malware can cause strange things. Don't want to advise solutions if not appropriate or against forum rules. Please advise and delete this link if breaking the rules.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, I don't know about Safe Mode. Because yhis happens so infrequently (maybe 2 or 3 weeks between problems), I don't want to run in Safe Mode for that length of time.

Because I have a smooth running system (mostly), I'm reluctant to run a program like Windows Repair that "runs a number of repairs" without knowing exactly what it's repairing. Do I have any insight into what it intends to fix BEFORE it actually fixes it, and can I opt out if I don't like what it wants to do?

Everything else about the system seems stable, and I do frequent scans for malware, holdum, so I don't think that's the issue here.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Everything else about the system seems stable, and I do frequent scans for malware, holdum, so I don't think that's the issue here.
    It never hurts to scan with ADwcleaner. I never said you were infected, but malware can hide and cause crazy problems. No problem friend! I was just suggesting a way on scanning for malware. ESET on line scanner is another great freeware. I don't provide links, as I'm not sure about forum rules. I help many seniors in my village for free and I have seen a lot of strange things that PUP's and malware cause. That's all I'm saying. Strange that you're losing Admin rights and a reboot or restore to a previous time seems to fix the issue.
    PS The tool that Sudo15 suggested is a great tool. We can only suggest things we think might help. It's your decision if you want to use them.
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-03-20 at 00:26.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Holdum, if I came across at being upset at your suggestions, that certainly wasn't my intent. I appreciate your input. You've seen the precautions I take (in my other thread), and I'm wondering if you think I should use ADWcleaner as a replacement or in addition to what I'm already using? Just seems unnecessary to me, unless ADWcleaner brings something new to the table.

I'm also considering using the super-administrator profile (I think Fred Langa wrote an article about it in an earlier Windows Secrets newsletter). That should ensure that I won't lose permissions again (?). Problem is, I cant locate that issue right now.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hey LesF. Was in bed. Needed to use the bath room. Checked my email. LOL more info then you needed I'm sure. You didn't come across as being upset at all. Adwcleaner is not a replacement. It's just another tool to scan for malware and is recommended on all malware forums. I'm sorry, but I don't know any thing about Fred Langa's article. I live in a retirement village and help seniors with computers and printers. I have certain programs I use to clean their PC's. Adwcleaner is one of first programs I use to scan for malware. It's just a scanner to find malware that your PC might have let in.
    You are cool my friend. You can find Adwcleaner here. There are no PUP's in this down load! This is a trusted site for freeware down loads! Trust me. I will never give you any thing that will be harmful or cause you a problem!
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-03-20 at 02:52.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hey LesF One of the best and most recommended scanners on malware forums is ESET on line scanner. It is recommended on every malware help forum I have ever been registered on!. You can find it here. ESET will take a long time to scan your PC but IMHO is one of the best. It may take 2 hours to scan your PC. It will uninstall its self after scanning if you program it to do so. I hope I have helped you friend! Trust me LesF. I have been around the block a couple of times and I know these things!
    http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF
    I'm running Win 7 Pro, SP-1 as Administrator. This is my home computer, and nobody else uses it.
    Occasionally, when I try to perform some action (for example, dragging a folder to the recycle bin), I get a message saying that I don't have permission to perform this task. Usually, a reboot will once again restore my permissions.

I don't understand why this happens, since even when I lose those permissions, I still appear to be logged on as Administrator. Any idea what causes this problem, and how to fix it permanently?
    A very simplistic answer is... 1) you're probably not running as Administrator and 2) the privileges you're running with have been trumped.

• The first visible account created during the installation of Windows 7 (Home, Pro, whatever) runs with administrative privileges. So, if - during the installation of Windows 7 - you created a new account called LesF then this account would be added to the built-in Administrators group.
    • The actual Administrator account is created by default and disabled/hidden... so you would have had to manually change this to be able to logon on as the actual Administrator.
    • There is a subtle difference between the actual Administrator account and accounts added to the Administrators group. (Which is why accounts in the Administrators group often have to use 'Run as administrator' and why 'Safe Mode' - when you are running as actual Administrator - is often more effective.)
    • Whilst the actual Administrator account is high within the hierarchy of 'privileges', it is trumped by the System account.
    • The System account, during normal Windows operations, can hold files open and locked that even the actual Administrator account cannot perform tasks on... until the System account relinquishes its hold. It's for this reason that many utilities use 'move on reboot' or 'delete on reboot' before the System account can re-establish control over them.

It's a lot more complex than that but... that's the basics which, hopefully, answers your original questions.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-20 at 04:30.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

LesF (2016-03-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You get to see the repairs the program runs and can uncheck any you don't want it to run - you could just opt for the Permissions repairs, but there seems to be something on your computer that is kicking in now and again under a given set of circumstances that is altering your Permissions.

Being an intermittent problem would make it difficult to nail down those circumstances, but running all of the repairs wouldn't normally harm your machine - but because it works on your registry, create an external system image first.

That is my preference to relying on the program backing up your registry or creating a restore point.

I have the Pro version and have run it on my laptops just to check it out and there haven't been any adverse effects, although YMMV.

The elevated command to use the hidden admin account is -

net user administrator /active:yes

You can then use this cmd to effect an immediate reboot shutdown /r /t 00 where you will see the Admin icon to log in with.

However, it isn't advisable to continue to run in this mode should you become infected.

You would disable it by changing yes to no

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2016-03-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast