Thread: Regedit.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Regedit.

Hello.
    I am on W-10 v 1511 and I am faced with a situation that I can not control or vary. I have a folder that is qualified as "Read only", I did not do this, it is empty. I went to Safe Mode and tried to delete it, it will not go, obviously, I got to CMD prompt as Administrator and still no delete. I did change the Read Only to not, Apply next and when I looked at the folder Proprieties, it is stuck on Read Only.

I then went to Regedit and Alt E, -> F, find this folder NAME. Regedit does not run, it stayed on an empty dialogue for > 2 hours. Is this an insidious way for MS to have complete control of our machine ? That folder is empty and does not bother me much except that I would like to know if I can get control over this aggravation ?

Fine Spring to all. Jean.

Addendum ! My mind is too complicated, I got rid of it easily in Safe Mode, no CMD, just right click on it and Delete. Gonzoed.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-03-20 at 12:21. Reason: Regedit !

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello.
    I am on W-10 v 1511 and I am faced with a situation that I can not control or vary. I have a folder that is qualified as "Read only", I did not do this, it is empty. I went to Safe Mode and tried to delete it, it will not go, obviously, I got to CMD prompt as Administrator and still no delete. I did change the Read Only to not, Apply next and when I looked at the folder Proprieties, it is stuck on Read Only.

I then went to Regedit and Alt E, -> F, find this folder NAME. Regedit does not run, it stayed on an empty dialogue for > 2 hours. Is this an insidious way for MS to have complete control of our machine ? That folder is empty and does not bother me much except that I would like to know if I can get control over this aggrav ation ?

Fine Spring to all. Jean.

Addendum ! My mind is too complicated, I got rid of it easily in Safe Mode, no CMD, just right click on it and Delete. Gonzoed.
    I've run into that a few times before Win10 and used a fully-updated antivirus, malwarebytes and a Registry cleaner, usually got the job done. BUT, a couple of times I ended up booting to a Linux Mint LiveDVD that allowed me access to the file system on the HDD/Hard DIsk Drive and could delete that Folder. After rebooting back into Windows didn't find any problems.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Wow! Don't know what's up with regedit running for two hours. That doesn't sound right.
    I have used a program called unlocker before, but might not work for your issue. Berton's Linux method should work also! This is a safe site. No PUP's

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/unlocker,1.html

If you've ever been unable to delete a file in Windows, and can't figure out what program's using it, Unlocker is the solution. Have you ever seen these Windows error messages?

Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another person or program
    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Unlocker can help! Simply right-click the folder or file and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear. Simply click Unlock All and you are done!
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-03-20 at 22:01. Reason: Quoting wholesale from other sites should be in [Quote]'s

Thanks
    Another alternative which has always worked for me on Window 7 is to use Cedric Collomb's Unlocker program.
    Beware that some AV programs regard it as a PUP or virus-infected, so best to get it from the author's website, emptyloop.com.
    Even then Firefox objects to it!

LATER...

Snap!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher. FYI My Anti-Virus or FF doesn't like your link at all!!
    Capture48.JPG

Thanks
    Hence my sentence "Even then Firefox objects to it!"

Use the Ignore this warning link at the bottom right of the screen.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi BATcher. FYI My Anti-Virus or FF doesn't like your link at all!!
    There is nothing wrong with the link in BAThcer's #4 post to the Unlocker program.

But there is something very wrong with the screenshot you posted in your #5 post.

Any valid program should include the program's name in the caption bar at the upper-left of the window. Your screenshot does not specify what program caused the prompt.

Untrustworthy "security"? software - identify and remove/uninstall.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi All I know is I get the warning I attached in my screen shot. I run Windows defender with MBAM pro on my W10 rig. I use FF for my browser. When I clicked "Get me out of here" I was redirected back to FF, so I'm assuming FF objected to the link. That's good enough reason for me to stay away from that link.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi ! I can confirm that FF was the one that blocked that site. When I clicked on "Why was this page blocked"
    It took me here.
    I'm not here to argue! This is what happened to me!
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, hello.

Funny, I never thought of Linux Mint. I have it here but seldom use it. I will try to keep it in mind if ever !

Good solution. Thanks to others too who showed some interest. Jean.

Thanks
    Couple of points...

Cedric Collomb's Unlocker was excellent until he gave in to the commercial pressure to include adware. Unlocker v1.9.2 is an adware-supported version. The last version that did not include adware was v1.8.9... which, IMO, didn't play well with Windows 7, let alone later versions of Windows. As a result, I would not not recommend Cedric Collomb's Unlocker any more.

IObit's Unlocker is a more up-to-date alternative which I've used in the past.

LockHunter looks interesting, but I've never used it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-21 at 03:26. Reason: Corrected spelling of surname

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-20)

Thanks
    I just posted a rough breakdown based on some of the points raised here, it might prevent this Thread from going further off topic.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi ! I can confirm that FF was the one that blocked that site. When I clicked on "Why was this page blocked"
    It took me here.
    I'm not here to argue! This is what happened to me!
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct
    Chrome blocks it also. My advice: Do Not Go There!!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to djohnson For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-24)