Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Task Scheduler settings

I have a task that creates a restore point. I have it set, I thought, to create a point whether the user is logged on or not. But it doesn't seem to do that. If I log out of the user that created the RP, and log in as another user, no RP gets created it seems.

Does that qualifier only mean when no user is logged in? Is there a way to set it so that a RP will be created regardless of which user is logged in?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Chuck! No one seems to be replying to your thread. IMHO W10 leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to creating Restore points.
    My W10 OS seldom creates a RP. When I ran W7 It was always creating restore points after up dates and ect. I have given up and I create a restore point manually when ever I make changes on my PC. It's a great feature, but I don't rely on it. I haven't found any rhyme or reason when it decides to create a RP. When ever It feels like it, I guess. Sorry that's the best I can do. If you find any information about this, please post it here.
    Here's all my restore points. I haven't deleted any???
    Capture48.JPG

Thanks
    Unfortunately, holdum, what you are saying seem to be the case. There have been times when an RP saved my hide, but then just as many times when I went looking for one in order to recover from a situation, and there were none! Research and commentary on this board has led me to the realization that, especially if one is installing Insider (test) builds of W10, that it will indiscriminately delete any RP's present -- very poor idea in my mind. But, aside from that, I have been trying to monitor the process, and RP's get erased even without any major upgrade in process, and, just as disturbing, the Task Scheduler seems undependable in its own right for scheduling RP creation. Fortunately, or maybe not so, when I come across this type of inexplicable happening, it just makes me more set on finding the reason and a solution.

Here's hoping!

Chuck

I thought I'd also include a graphic. These are supposed to be created every fifteen minutes. H-m-m-m-m...

RP.png
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2016-03-21 at 02:17. Reason: Add
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hey Chuck! I'm routing for you to find the solution to this. The one thing I have been able to find out is that MS stopped creating restore points after critical windows up dates on W10. That's a bad decision IMHO. On my W7,restore points were created after MS critical up dates were installed. I always have my Macrium Reflect handy to get me out of a bad situation.
    I have had some success with restore points; but like you said, they aren't all that reliable. I would like them to at least be a option to try however.
    I'll be here waiting for you to solve this my fiend!
    Good luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now I have 20 restore points dating back to 12/31/2015. All were created after critical updates and most seem to be 3-4 days apart. Maybe it's best to just let system restore do it's thing on it's own schedule.

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Several things:

1.) when you install a new Insider Preview version it is treated as a Windows version upgrade. All prior RPs are deleted just as they have been in the past when you installed a new version of Windows or dual booted between versions. Rolling back to an RP before a new version install makes no sense.

2.) Restore points are created before updates are installed not after.

3.) Automatic scheduled restore points are created ONLY if other RPs have not been created in the last 7 days.

4.) Task Scheduler - see General Task Properties and the links at the end of the article. Even though it says it applies to Windows 7 it should still be applicable to Windows 10. Also see What's New in Task Scheduler for changes in the last several version of Windows.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, #3:

My RP schedule of every 4 hours during a setup seems to work fine -- sorta. So if I schedule for every four hours, you are saying it will ignore the schedule?

I'll take a look at #4.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Chuck,

I meant the system generated task to automatically create restore points. Your task should work as scheduled.

Joe

Thanks
    Well Joe, it don't. I have my machine set to fire every 15 minutes while I set up for tax prep, and the last several RP's ran at 9.47pm, 10.19pm, 10.32pm and 10.47pm. As it is set to start up two minutes after the quarter-hour, it should have bee 9.47pm, 10.02pm, 10.17pm, 10.32pm, and 10.47pm.

I have the task set to run regardless of who is logged in, and to retry on fail every minute for up to three retries.

That doesn't seem quite right, does it?

Chuck

Added: I attached a copy of the exported task in question.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2016-03-22 at 02:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Was the machine awake? Your task definition does not allow wake-to-run.

You might want to have your .vbs in a different folder than under Program Files. Program Files is a protected location and I've seen problems with using it regardless of the account being used.

Joe

Thanks
    I checked out your xml file, and you appear to have it set up wrong. To run a vbs file you need to have it set up an unusual way from other programs. Under Action->Start a program you simply just put in the name of your vbs file. Then you put where it is stored in the Start in box. I have a couple set up, but the screen shot below is an example.

Thanks
    The restore points themselves seem to work fine. It is the scheduling or reliance on any auto-backup procedure that seems at best shaky. I rely on Macrium as well, but to have only backups as an option is too bad.\

Chuck

Thanks
    I'll give that a look. But the task runs fine manually, so I dunno.

Chuck

Thanks
    I tried not having the wscript.exe, but it didn't activate at all -- no errors either, just nada. I tried it the "old way" again, and it worked fine. It's not the script. It's a Task Scheduler issue in W-10 as, I think, relates to updates.

Chuck

Thanks
    Joe, yes my machine was awake...I'm not sure how/where to set wake-to-run. yes, the script (as of the moment) is at "C:\Program Files\Auto Restore Point\Instant_Restore_Point-10.vbs." I'll certainly move it and see if that helps.
    ---
    OK, I moved the script to "C:\WinMgmnt\System\Registry\Auto Restore Point\Instant_Restore_Point-10.vbs."

We'll see if that helps...hope so...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2016-03-27 at 20:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast