Star Lounger
    Thanks

W7 machine FREEZES

At work I use a Window 7 Lenovo desk top machine.

I normally have 4 'main frame' screens, Outlook, Internet Explorer and multiple Lync screen up and operational, additionally through a Citrix connection I have 2 Internet Explorer screens, as well as a File Explorer screen up and operational.

Periodically, the system FREEZES. Cursor does not respond to the mouse. CTRL, ALT Delete do not shut the box down. There is no pattern as to what causes the FREEZE.

Only thing to do is push the master power button on the box itself and then reboot the system.

This has been reported to the Corporate Help Desk, without any resolution.

Any ideas?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! There are many reasons that cause computers to freeze. It can be software or hardware related. It sounds to me that you have a lot going on when it freezes. Here's a good read. See if any thing here makes sense! We need to see if it's hardware or software. I'm sure other members here will have more suggestions for you latter.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16

Any ideas?
    Escalate to the Corporate Help Desk management? Is there a Service Level Agreement in place?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

Any ideas?
    When you say "the Corporate Help Desk", do you mean the help desk that is in-house? I used to work at a corporate help desk, and if we couldn't fix it, we would dispatch an on-site technician. It sounds like that is what is needed here.

If, on the other hand, your Corporate Help Desk is not in-house, but rather a service that you subscribe to, they may not be able to dispatch an on-site technician, in which case you need to call a technician yourself.

Here are some possibilities: Not enough memory to support all of the stuff you have running; adware; long-running scripts on certain websites; problems with Flash; a hardware issue; there is a server on your network which you are accessing, and it has a problem; etc.

How long has the problem been going on? If it's been going on for a while, you may simply need a better computer to support all of the stuff you are trying to run all at the same time.

Here are some thing you could try: Start by closing all programs and then restarting the computer. Then run one thing at a time, to see how your system behaves. If you don't find the culprit, run two things at a time, in different combinations; then three things; etc.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-03-21 at 08:51.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Hi! There are many reasons that cause computers to freeze. It can be software or hardware related. It sounds to me that you have a lot going on when it freezes. Here's a good read. See if any thing here makes sense! We need to see if it's hardware or software. I'm sure other members here will have more suggestions for you latter.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm
    My favorite quote from the Computer Hope article is: "If the computer processor is getting too hot, it can cause the computer to freeze." I know exactly what is meant by that, but it sounds really funny!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-21)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My favorite quote from the Computer Hope article is: "If the computer processor is getting too hot, it can cause the computer to freeze." I know exactly what is meant by that, but it sounds really funny!
    That is funny. I've read that many times, but never thought of it like that. If it's getting to hot, it might freeze.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Please tell us more about the hardware configuration.
    How old is the PC?
    What is the environment?
    Have you examined the event logs?
    Have you tried having Task Manager running to see what may be happening?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Please tell us more about the hardware configuration.
    How old is the PC?
    What is the environment?
    Have you examined the event logs?
    Have you tried having Task Manager running to see what may be happening?

Joe
    The box is about 3 years old - was installed when the corporation moved on from Windows XP. It is operating in a clean office environment. Users are SEVERELY limited in what diagnostics they are permitted to run. The FREEZE - just happens, one second you are doing something innocuous, the next you notice the cursor isn't moving in response to any inputs from the mouse. Task manager would have to be initiated prior to the happening, and even if it was running would not be able to view it if the freeze happen on one of the other applications.

The screens and applications that are being run concurrently are all necessary for proper job performance, so not using one or more of them is not an option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16
    It is operating in a clean office environment. Users are SEVERELY limited in what diagnostics they are permitted to run.
    All the more reason to escalate to management, both the Corporate Help Desk management and your own line management, if a problem with your locked-down workstation is affecting your productivity. After all, this is the raison d'Ítre for having a Corporate Help Desk. If the Corporate Help Desk is not helping then management need to know. (As an ex-manager of a Corporate Help Desk for many years, I would have wanted to know ASAP if my Help Desk was failing to provide its core service... and would be embarassed beyond belief if I knew a Help Desk 'customer' felt the need to ask in a forum such as this.)

Thanks
    The box is about 3 years old - was installed when the corporation moved on from Windows XP.
    Sounds like your machine is up to the task, so it's probably an issue with one of the websites you are accessing -- perhaps a long-running script, or some issue related to Flash.

The screens and applications that are being run concurrently are all necessary for proper job performance, so not using one or more of them is not an option.
    Ultimately, you want to be able to run everything that is needed, but you need to figure out what is causing the problem. That was my reason for suggesting that you run only one or two at a time -- so that you could narrow down what is causing the problem.