New Lounger
    Thanks

Installed programs don't show up for all users

Hey Lounge members, can anyone offer any suggestions on how to solve a strange issue I've encountered in Windows 10?

As per usual security protocols, I have an admin account (not called admin) and a user account. The user account is the account I use most often when in Windows. Having upgraded to Win 10 last week (after much difficulty), I install programs from my user account. As with Win 7, a security dialogue box pops up asking for my admin password. Not a big deal. However, in a couple of significant cases, these installed programs are not available to my user account. It's as if they weren't installed at all.

Trying to troubleshoot this issue, I discovered that the programs are available to my admin account, as they should be. So, installed programs are only installing for the admin account but not the user account.

In Win 7, the install dialogue would ask if you wanted the program installed for all users. That option has not appeared, as far as I can tell.

So, is there a setting somewhere in Win 10 by which I can make "install for all users" the default?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ian,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

First there is not Install for all users option. This is an option offered/not offered by individual programs.

That said the programs are installed I'm sure it's just that the Shortcuts haven't been placed in your Start Menu folder.

You can verify this by searching the C: drive in the Program Files [64 bit programs] and Program Files(x86) [32 bit programs] folders. I'm sure you'll find the program folders for the programs in question.

You can then create shortcuts to them and place them on your desktop. Then you can drag them into your start menu if desired.

You could also drag them into the C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop folder. They will then show up on all User Accounts on that computer.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-03-21 at 21:05.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response.

I understand what you mean about the option only offered by the install program. That said, the problem is a little more complicated than simply placing shortcuts in the Start Menu folder.

I have a program called Cacheman, for instance, that manages my RAM memory and various others tweaks of the OS. The program does not appear since I've installed it when logged in via a user account. When I get it open, the way you mention, and set the preference to start when Windows starts, it doesn't start.

Anyway, I'll keep hacking away at it until I figure out what's really going on. It just seems like very odd behaviour in Win 10...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanFJ View Post
    I have a program called Cacheman, for instance, that manages my RAM memory and various others tweaks of the OS. The program does not appear since I've installed it when logged in via a user account. When I get it open, the way you mention, and set the preference to start when Windows starts, it doesn't start.
    Hi, Ian.

A program like Cacheman, which manages your RAM and various other tweaks of the OS, is probably something that shouldn't be run by a standard user, but only by an administrator, which may explain why it is available only in your admin account. In other words, that may have been the intention of the author of the program.

Jim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or you may have to grant certain permissions to Cacheman, to your non-admin account...

I've always marvelled at how many installers don't ask this question. In my experience with most software, you want all users to be able to see and use them. The exceptions tend to be stuff like personal finance programs and the like.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or, Ian, as I had to do several times I ran the installer out of the user account and got a little system window asking for the admin accounts password. Then things went okay.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the mfr website HELP: http://www.outertech.com/help_cachem...?starthere.htm
    "You need administrator rights to setup and configure Cacheman. After this process is completed, every user on the system can utilize both the service and the tray application. The Tray Icon options can be set according to personal preference by every user."
    Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The tray icon options can't be set for every user. The program works fine for my admin account but, when I set the same options for my user account, they don't work.

Similarly, I use Mp3Tag for taking control of my mp3 tags, go figure. When I use the program in my user account, I keep having to mess with permissions.

Anyway, to solve the problem I've deleted the user account and will, from now, only use my admin account. I'm not entirely happy with this but, until I hear differently about the security of this option, I don't want to fight with Win 10. These are small niggles but annoying.