New Lounger
    Thanks

3rd party software permissions for standard user

I'm very new at this so I will explain my issues as best I can. I have 4 Win10 home PC's on a LAN. My confusion is this. When I install most software on a PC any standard user on that PC can run it. I have a 3rd party program that I install and unless your the administrator a standard user can not run it. When they try it asks for the admin password. What I had to do was use the runas command in the shortcut, something I would rather not do. Can someone first explain why some software will run with a standard user and some won't and also is there a work around I'm missing

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi newdude! See if this suggestion from RG helps!
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-for-all-users

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey back and thanks for the reply. I can create the shortcut, no problem on the standard users desktop. The problem I'm having is then when you try and open the shortcut it requires the admin password to run it. I had to modify the shortcut to use the runas command which I would really rather not do. I would rather all users be able to run this application just like they can all run Word or Excel or Quick books. these programs do not ask for admin password.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi newdude! I don't have a a answer for the password isue! Maybe someone here can answer that latter! I was mostly replying to this Can someone first explain why some software will run with a standard user and some won't

Thanks
    Where is the 3rd party software being installed?

If it's in a nonstandard location that could explain why elevated rights are required.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Club Privata\Club Privata Membership Manager 3.0.0

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

Some software requires that you have admin rights in order to run it. It seems that every backup program I have tried has required that I log in as an administrator in order to run the program.

Most programs don't require that you have admin rights.

My guess is that whoever wrote "Club Privata Membership Manager" set it up to require admin rights. As to the reason? You'll have to ask them about that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. It's funny because when you install the program it actually asks if you want everyone to be able to run it. But it was written back in the XP, vista days

Thanks
    If you're running an old program in Windows 10, it may not follow all of the rules of Windows 10. This might explain why it requires you to have admin rights.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If you're running an old program in Windows 10, it may not follow all of the rules of Windows 10. This might explain why it requires you to have admin rights.
    I was thinking along those lines as well in that if it installed in strange place there would be permission problems but where it installed should be fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the all the feedback. FYI, using the Windows runas allows you to run the program as a standard user but it stores the admin password in the windows Credential file so a standard user could find it if they knew how.