5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to get Windows Defender turned on in an upgraded Win10 from Win7

My friend upgraded his HP CPQ Presario CQ60 Win10 Notebook to Windows 10 from Windows 7
    He had Microsoft Security Essentials when it was Windows 7 and still is in Windows 10.
    He keeps getting a pop-up that reads Windows Defender is turned off
    It cannot be turned on and in settings everything is grayed out.
    Id like to delete the Microsoft Security Essentials Task Scheduler entry
    I suspect then it should be possible for Windows Defender to be turned on
    Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Cmptrgy,

You need to uninstall MSE via Programs and Features.
    Reboot and Windows Defender should be good to go.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG. I did try that before everything else I mention but it wouldn't uninstall. Unfortunately I didn't record the exact message of why it wouldn't uninstall. I'm going to call the owner and ask him to try the uninstall and read the exact message to me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the message my friend told me over the phone
    Microsoft Security Essentials Installation error
    You don’t need to install Microsoft Security Essentials
    Your version of Windows includes an updated version of Windows Defender that provides the same level of protection as Microsoft Security Essentials along with other significant improvements
    Error code 0x8004FF6F

I've looked for help in the Microsoft Community web site: no help there just repetitive posts and recommendations that don't even address the issue (at least so far)
    Astounding isn't it?
    Microsoft doesn't even have a solution to undoing their own product in order for their own correct product to be properly installed.
    Anyway I'll be back on that computer and see what I can do.
    I want to be optimistic and hope to find a solution.
    If anyone does have a solution, I'll be more than happy to follow through on it.

If there isn't a solution I'll consider recommending AVG Free or some reputable Anti-virus/anti-spyware program

Thanks
    @ cmptrgy

From my searches it seems that the problem you are having uninstalling MSE is an "undocumented feature" (bug) in Win10. There do not seem to be any reports of success apart from rolling-back to Win7.

I would suggest:

1. Create a backup image of the Win10 partition (just in case) and backup the user's data files (C:\Users\[username]\ folders Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Favorites, Music, Pictures, Videos, and any other folders the user has added).

2. Try to roll-back to Win7 (Start\Settings\Update & Security\Recovery); if success uninstall MSE then re-upgrade to Win10 - otherwise GoTo step 3.

3. If step 2 didn't work, or other problems have appeared, perform a clean install of Win10 using a DVD or USB flash drive you created via the "Media Creation Tool": 32bit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935 64bit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936 then copy the user's files from the backups you created in step 1.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-27),holdum333 (2016-03-27)