5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A few problem patches among March's many updates

PATCH WATCH

A few problem patches among March's many updates

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft is cranking out needed Windows 10 servicing-stack updates plus a slew of Windows Server fixes. While none of these updates raise general alarms, one should be of concern to users of dual-boot systems.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/a-few-problem-patches-among-marchs-many-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-03-23 at 19:00.

Thanks
    You say

> What to do: It’s generally a good idea to add any new servicing-stack updates when offered. Allow Win10 to install KB 3140741.

How do you allow or disallow Win10 updates? On my Win10 Home box there is no option to block updates. Am I missing something?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    I've read that some people have held off the updates by using the "Metered connection" in settings. I haven't tried it though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    You say

> What to do: It’s generally a good idea to add any new servicing-stack updates when offered. Allow Win10 to install KB 3140741.

How do you allow or disallow Win10 updates? On my Win10 Home box there is no option to block updates. Am I missing something?
    KB3073930 - Show or hide updates troubleshooter package now.diagcab

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

This is labeled a Troubleshooter and is meant for problem patches. It can only be used on Windows 10.

If you're into Powershell, PSWindowsUpdate Module is another excellent solution BUT is definitely allot more technical as well as IT Admin focused. This can be used on any windows that has the appropriate Powershell installed. I use it on W 8.1 and W 10 and prefer to use Powershell IDE rather than the straight PS Prompt access for Modules. Both must have Admin Rights activated.

It can be found here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...2-88dff796b0bc

Best Regards,

Crysta
    Last edited by PhotM; 2016-03-28 at 01:39. Reason: PS IDE

Thanks
    Crysta, Your post is intrigues me. Which script would I download for Win 7 and then Win 10? How would I use the script? What mistakes should a first time user be wary of?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    Crysta, Your post is intrigues me. Which script would I download for Win 7 and then Win 10? How would I use the script? What mistakes should a first time user be wary of?

Thanks.
    You don't have to do that script for 7, only for 10. The only reason to use the script is if there is an update you want to temporarily avoid.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2016-03-31)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post

Thanks.
    Susan is right....

I see however "Script" being used properly and inappropriately or it maybe it is unclear if the app is a script???

So let me reiterate, the ".PS1" are definitely scripts for Powershell. PS is brand new territory for some/most and must be learned and gotten used to!

The way I do it is to use it where ever I can INSTEAD of the Command Prompt, mostly with SFC and DISM. I have watched many videos from MS Servers, mostly with Jeffery Snover, the father of Powershell! In other words I taught myself to be my own IT Admin Pro and I am still very much in the learning process. In my OPINION, one who runs Windows boxes needs to learn to be their own IT Admin Pro OR be prepared to pay allot of money to keep them running properly/buying new ones when it is really not necessary.

PSWindowsUpdate Module has allot more functionality and I am find myself using it as a comprehensive replacement for Windows Update on both W 8.1 and W 10.

This is not the place for tutorials or teaching IT, I simply brought that up for those who are moderately ADVANCED or wish to learn to be!

The "Show and Hide" is a Troubleshooting app and much more appropriate for most users but it is only for Windows 10.

Hope this clarifies or at least points you in the right direction.

Best Regards,

Crysta

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I received a notice to update KB 3138901 via Windows Update. As is my habit, I searched Windows Secrets for that update, and received one hit, for the March 24 Patch Watch, "A few problem patches among March’s many updates." [http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...-many-updates]. However, when I went to the article, I could not find any reference to 3138901. [Note: the version available seems to be dated 4/12/2016, but it may have been updated from an earlier version.]

Question: Was the article changed to eliminate any mention of KB 3138901, is there an error in the search database (the article does mention 3138910, or am I just missing something obvious? I was able to find Susan's recommendations for all other current Windows 7 updates Microsoft is offering me. Finally, can we expect advice in the next issue of Patch Watch if this is, indeed, a new patch?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In regards Patch Watch, I always try to follow Susan Bradley's recommendations. I
    have a question in that back at end of 2015/start of 2016, KB 3109094 was included in Win Updates and Susan said to wait till later in month till she would advise if/when to install it. Although I always try to catch the followup posts, I must have missed that one? I believe I need to install it on my 2 Win 7 PCs but wonder [as it's a Kernal Update] if installing it now will cause any problems with the other OS updates that have been installed since then? Thanks for reading this.

Thanks
    KB 3109094
    My records show that I waited and then installed it as per Susan's advice. No known problems as far as I can tell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

JKWillie (2016-04-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You Sir. I appreciate your feedback.