Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,070
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 132 Times in 86 Posts

    Forced Win10 upgrades? What you need to know




    WINDOWS 10


    Forced Win10 upgrades? What you need to know


    By Susan Bradley

    Recent headlines suggest that Microsoft is upgrading system to Windows 10, whether or not users want the new OS.

    Moving from Win7 or Win8.1 to Windows 10 isn't mandatory. Here's how to continue running the operating system you want.

    The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-need-to-know/ (opens in a new window/tab).

    Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question win10 upgrade prevention GWX Control Paanel

    I installed GWX Control Panel 6mths ago and no problems; could an integrity/history rating for developers be included with any recommendations ?
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-03-24 at 19:12.

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I tried ignoring the Win 10 upgrade logo on my Dell all-in-one but the OS performed the upgrade anyway and the system is dead. I had previously allowed the upgrade on my main system which was almost flawless, but had to roll back to Win 7 due to a suspected device driver problem on my scanner. When I was ready, the main system was given a 'clean' upgrade per Window's Secrets suggestions and that system is running great. Back to the Dell. Windows 10 did the scan and said the Dell was compatible, Dell's website said otherwise. Dell was correct. I did the upgrade and it failed to complete and it was able to roll back to Win 7. I tried a different approach to upgrade but that resulted in a hung system which required a wipe and clean install of Win 7. After that I was content to leave the Dell alone, but Microsoft changed the upgrade method as you wrote and when I returned from a short business trip, my Dell was a paperweight. I'm certain that I can bring it back to Win 7 again, but to what end? If Microsoft's new Draconian upgrade is going to install no matter what, my Dell is dead and it is no longer worth the manhours to restore it back to operation each time.

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    GWX A Great Start

    Even with GWX Control Panel install, be aware that Microsoft will still offer you that dreaded KB3035583 update--the one that puts the Win-10 icon on your desktop, plus who know what else.

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,167
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    I have Win10 on one computer and am reasonably comfortable with it. There are even a few things about it I like better than Win7. BUT...

    I have a Win7 computer I use for business. It works just fine the way it is, thank you, and I know for a fact that at least one thing I use from time to time won't upgrade - XP Mode. I know that I could probably setup a VM on a Win10 machine but that would be something of a PITA, and the main point is that it works just fine the way it is now - I have no earthly reason to upgrade this machine. None, nada, zippo.

    With some care, it seems likely that I can keep from upgrading, but I am concerned that MS is continuing to push out updates to get my computer ready to update. I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid and unnecessary. Plus it puts me at risk of installing an update that may screw up something for no good reason at all. And since I have some programs that I don't use every day, it could take weeks to stumble on it.

    I already know that one update has broken something in one program I use. It's not a big deal since I can work around it. But I didn't discover this until Feb and I know that this wasn't happening in December; so it could be a real bother trying to track it down.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was running routine updates on Win8 computer at home, and I checked the optional updates and sure enough, the Win10 update was checked, even though I have the option set to not install recommended updates.

    So, yes, it was 'hidden' and if I had been careless or in a hurry I would have updated when I did not want to.

    Microsoft needs to seriously stop this crap!

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger bmeacham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I got another KB3035583 offered today as an Important update. I hid it again and did not install it. Microsoft is being seriously obnoxious about Windows 10! Now I have to look at each update and decide whether I want it. Too bad. I used to just trust Microsoft and install them all.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,583
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    I got another KB3035583 offered today as an Important update. I hid it again and did not install it. Microsoft is being seriously obnoxious about Windows 10! Now I have to look at each update and decide whether I want it. Too bad. I used to just trust Microsoft and install them all.
    When Microsoft releases an updated version of patch, which is what they did with KB3035583, Windows Update almost always treats it as a new patch. So, even though you hid the prior version you have not yet hidden the new version. Therefore, you see it. This is not unique to Windows 10 or Microsoft's efforts to get you to upgrade to it.

    Joe

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Win 10 update nag

    On a recent Patch Tuesday, MS sneaked in a Windows 10 update nag in an IE Security Patch. See:
    http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-a...stalled-78814/
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-03-25 at 02:29. Reason: spelling error

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillJR For This Useful Post:

    colscript (2016-03-25)

  11. #10
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    When Microsoft releases an updated version of patch, which is what they did with KB3035583, Windows Update almost always treats it as a new patch. So, even though you hid the prior version you have not yet hidden the new version. Therefore, you see it. This is not unique to Windows 10 or Microsoft's efforts to get you to upgrade to it.

    Joe
    One of the problems currently is that MS appear to be reissuing upgrade-related patches purely for the purpose of getting them (and no other non-upgrade related patches) back from the hidden folder so that there's another chance of you installing them, given that they offer no explanation in any documentation of any changes made between the versions. If that's too cynical a view, it's one they could easily counter by detailing the date of each version and the changes included, as well as explaining why it's only the upgrade-related patches that receive this treatment.

  12. #11
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tacair View Post
    I tried ignoring the Win 10 upgrade logo on my Dell all-in-one but the OS performed the upgrade anyway and the system is dead. I had previously allowed the upgrade on my main system which was almost flawless, but had to roll back to Win 7 due to a suspected device driver problem on my scanner. When I was ready, the main system was given a 'clean' upgrade per Window's Secrets suggestions and that system is running great. Back to the Dell. Windows 10 did the scan and said the Dell was compatible, Dell's website said otherwise. Dell was correct. I did the upgrade and it failed to complete and it was able to roll back to Win 7. I tried a different approach to upgrade but that resulted in a hung system which required a wipe and clean install of Win 7. After that I was content to leave the Dell alone, but Microsoft changed the upgrade method as you wrote and when I returned from a short business trip, my Dell was a paperweight. I'm certain that I can bring it back to Win 7 again, but to what end? If Microsoft's new Draconian upgrade is going to install no matter what, my Dell is dead and it is no longer worth the manhours to restore it back to operation each time.
    (my bolded highlighting)

    I suspect you may have had updates set to download but not install, when the only safe way is to have them notify but not download or install.

  13. #12
    Lounger ruosChalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Susan Bradley's article was titled, Forced Win10 upgrades? What you need to know. In it, Ms. Bradley briefly discusses how it might have been had Microsoft " ... been less heavy-handed with pushing out Windows 10 and focused on building a better Windows mousetrap."
    I came to this forum to suggest a future article focusing on what a "must-have" Windows 10 might have been, or could yet be. Ms. Bradley touches on a few ideas.

    Backspacer (e.g., post #11) and others in this thread have eloquently commented on what an OS should or should not be. It has been suggested they start a new thread. I agree this should be a separate topic, but one focused on what the OS should be, and not another Win10 vs. Linux vs. XP gripe session.

    I am hoping Ms. Bradley or another WS contributor will start the discussion with an article taking off on her comments about the Win 10 that might have been.

    WS lounge posters are the best. --RonR

  14. #13
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,583
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    One of the problems currently is that MS appear to be reissuing upgrade-related patches purely for the purpose of getting them (and no other non-upgrade related patches) back from the hidden folder so that there's another chance of you installing them, given that they offer no explanation in any documentation of any changes made between the versions. If that's too cynical a view, it's one they could easily counter by detailing the date of each version and the changes included, as well as explaining why it's only the upgrade-related patches that receive this treatment.
    It only appears that way. Microsoft has re-released many patches with little to no explanation for many OSes through the years. How often have you and almost everyone else paid any attention to what patches have been re-released until this Windows 10 upgrade mess? Making things more difficult is that there is less and less information given about what the actual problem being fixed was. I doubt that will change much.

    Joe

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    cmptrgy (2016-03-27)

  16. #14
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I postponed Win10 for a while and then allowed it on most of my systems - one by one. However I have one system with some non-upgradeable software. I have been very happy using this powerful, older but still wonderfully usable, software. I know it well so I can work easily and quickly. But in the dead of night one night 2 weeks ago, Win 10 came in and took over. Now I have programs I cannot use and no recourse as the company that made them is gone. Also a number of other smaller programs - unusable and not fixable. Yes of course I can buy newer ones but that is going to cost me first - big bucks and Second - a huge amount of downtime as I need to learn completely new programs. Not at all pleased with this. It is fine to have most systems upgraded but it should NEVER be mandatory.
    Now I have hardware (older slide scanner and other) also made unusable. No drivers for a wonderfully working but truly old machine.

    I keep other older systems around that are limping a bit so perhaps I can patch something together for the hardware but the software is toast. And I am very, very grumpy!!

  17. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,583
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaflady View Post
    I postponed Win10 for a while and then allowed it on most of my systems - one by one. However I have one system with some non-upgradeable software. I have been very happy using this powerful, older but still wonderfully usable, software. I know it well so I can work easily and quickly. But in the dead of night one night 2 weeks ago, Win 10 came in and took over. Now I have programs I cannot use and no recourse as the company that made them is gone. Also a number of other smaller programs - unusable and not fixable. Yes of course I can buy newer ones but that is going to cost me first - big bucks and Second - a huge amount of downtime as I need to learn completely new programs. Not at all pleased with this. It is fine to have most systems upgraded but it should NEVER be mandatory.
    Now I have hardware (older slide scanner and other) also made unusable. No drivers for a wonderfully working but truly old machine.

    I keep other older systems around that are limping a bit so perhaps I can patch something together for the hardware but the software is toast. And I am very, very grumpy!!
    If the upgrade was less than 30 days ago you should be able to roll back to the prior OS. Once rolled back you should download, install, and run GWX Control Panel. There is a link to the user manual on the download page.

    Joe

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

    colscript (2016-03-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •