3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot receive in Thunderbird

I have a problem with my Thunderbird account running under Windows 7. When I open the program the following email message appears –

Error with account *******@talktalk.net

The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop3.talktalk.net responded: cannot open file'/nfs2/mailnec/mail_15/23/20/****** %talktalk.net /0A7000A25722C96A.msg' errno 2, file does not exist

I have two accounts, a talktalk (my ISP) and a gmail – the gmail works perfectly in that I can send and receive but now I can only send in the other account – the Inbox is empty although a number of emails appear on the ISP's Mail website, including the test email I sent from my gmail account in the same Thunderbird program. I tried deleting my password through Options/Security and re-entering when prompted during the effort to send an email, but to no avail. The program version is the latest but I could try “updating” with a download of the same version, I do not want to loose my archived emails.

Thanks
    Why don't you try creating the account profile again in Thunderbird? Keep the one you have (don't delete it), so that you don't lose any email; but "turn it off" by removing the username / password, turning off synchronization, etc. After doing that, create a new profile with the correct settings for that account.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-03-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it's a talktalk problem, but you could try deleting blank emails via webmail:

TalkTalk Community > Products & Services > My Email > The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-03-24)

Thanks
    Mike21:
    C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Thunderbird
    C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
    -- as long as the desired thunderbird account is saved etal somewhere safe, you can experiment with uninstalling, reinstalling, version updating/downdating, can be done without affecting the mailboxes and indexes.
    [I hope this is the correct thread, I could not post anything anywhere yesterday from school's ISP, so I "saved" the comment until I got home, & booted up this morning.]
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-03-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. It does look as if it is a talktalk problem so initially i will post on their forum and hope to get it sorted. I am not computer/thunderbird savy enough to carry out the other solutions without risk but will attempt them if I get no joy from talktalk.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    Thanks to all. It does look as if it is a talktalk problem so initially i will post on their forum and hope to get it sorted. I am not computer/thunderbird savy enough to carry out the other solutions without risk but will attempt them if I get no joy from talktalk.
    It clearly seems like a talktalk issue. I wouldn't change anything, other than maybe disabling the account on Thunderbird if the issue persists.

One option, if the issue persists, would be to use gmail to read from the talktalk account. I guess it is only worth to have a look at it if talktalk doesn't get back to you or if they aren't able to fix the issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4