Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting fed up with it!

I've had GWX Control Panel set up on my wife's Windows 7 computer for several months now. Tonight, for the second time, she showed me a notification because the "Disable Operating System Changes in Windows Update" had itself been disabled. Either as a result, or because of it, # 3035583 was installed. In other words, GWX Control Panel couldn't prevent it's installation. I'll have to change her update setting to "just notify" - until August, anyway.
    Please pass me the paper to sign, to sue Microsoft.

By the way, I just checked, and Windows Update setting was already "download but don't install" - but # 3035583 did in fact install on March 15 without anyone's permission. Now I'm really upset.
    Last edited by rje49; 2016-03-23 at 23:03.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Remember, GWX Control Panel has been written by someone not affiliated with Microsoft who is just trying to help the user community deal with the various Microsoft changes and updates designed to get a system upgraded to Windows 10. Microsoft just released another revision to KB3035583. In the Windows Update world a revision to previously released change is most often treated as a brand new patch. It is conceivable that the GWC CP author has to make an adjustment to his code to catch up with whatever change Microsoft introduced.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use GWX but I did read version 1.7.0.2 back in December and am familiar with what it does
    From what I can tell the latest version is 1.7.2.0 and was uploaded Jan 24
    When you see GWX's notifications for any changes, run GWX at that time even if it's the same version you already ran before
    I'm under the impression that GWX needs user interaction at times
    Treat it like any other software in which it needs to be known that the latest version is in use and doing it's job

Even though I don't use GWX, I think it would be a good idea to check Windows Update settings before Patch Tuesday
    Then when Windows Updates do become available during the week of Patch Tuesday, check for KB3035583 and since you have Windows 7 also KB2952664: look in both Important and Optional
    It might seem inconvenient but for the most part the combination of using GWX and the users interaction should be a good combination.
    BTW, do you know how to uninstall either on or both of those KB's if they are installed?

If memory serves me correctly you can post comments on their website also

Last but not least, yes MSFT is pushing Windows 10 onto computers very hard and I understand your frustration

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have both those updates as well as other Win 10 associated ones hidden.

With Joe mentioning a new release of KB3035583 - just gone to Windows Update to find a prompt to check for updates - which I've done and no hang this time - I wonder why and low and behold, it's for KB3035583 which I've had to hide again.

I have mine set to Check for but let me choose.. and while the last auto check for updates was yesterday morning, not sure why I got the prompt to manually check for them today.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I took GWX Control Panel as a set-it-and-forget-it-tool, not expecting settings to change by itself or more likely as if it were hit by malware! I have several computers to monitor both home and at work, so this could become even more annoying.
    How about the fact that my wife's computer was set to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them", but KB3035583 installed anyway? THAT is just plain unacceptable! Yes, I will be visiting MS website very soon.
    Just checked- I just saw my updates notification, and had to hide KB3035583 for about the 8th time. Please, MS, call off the pack of dogs!!!
    Last edited by rje49; 2016-03-24 at 08:16.

Thanks
    rje49, you need to regularly update GWX Control Panel in order for it to be able to continue to shield you from the Windows 10 upgrade.

On the positive side, it looks like your wife's computer hasn't yet gotten upgraded, so you can easily back away from the upgrade to Windows 10 once you update GWX Control Panel.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-03-24 at 10:02. Reason: corrected misspelling

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what has worked for me so far.
    --Set update to never check
    --Once a month, check GWX to be sure it's set to block the upgrade
    --Backup image to an external drive
    --Check for, download, and run updates
    --Check GWX to be sure it's still set to block the upgrade.
    --If necessary, and it may well be, change the GWX settings

I also say a little prayer whenever I run updates - every little bit helps.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Understood, and GWX Control Panel is updated on two machines so far.
    Has anybody ever heard of Windows Update installing an update (KB3035583) even though it's set to NOT install updates? Again, that is what is most upsetting here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rje49 View Post
    Has anybody ever heard of Windows Update installing an update (KB3035583) even though it's set to NOT install updates? Again, that is what is most upsetting here.
    I have heard of unexplained cases where Update is set to automatically download but not install where something caused an install to take place. It's why I prefer the "Do Nothing Unless I Tell You" approach.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've heard of the settings being changed to auto, so after each month's updates that is worth checking.

I haven't had any problems with mine set to check for but let me choose...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There so many excellent comments in this post

I believe if you stay on top of managing GWX, it’ll work out very well for you

However, In case you have to manually do some yourself again
    “had to hide KB3035583 for about the 8th time.”
    Check both Important & Optional updates and hide them as you mention
    Then uninstall each Win10 upgrade related KB
    Shut down
    Start back up
    Check Windows Update again
    If any of those updates want to reappear in Windows Update it doesn’t take long for it to happen
    Hide them again
    You shouldn’t have to uninstall them again but double-check if you want to make sure

Roland’s batch file works excellently
    It’s also a good reference to see which KB’s to look for in addition to KB3035583
    In my case I have split the batch file into 2 batch files: one for Windows 7 & one for Windows 8.1

Thanks
    Just install the updates while you can and be happy! After April of 2020 you won't have any more on Windows 7. Ever.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Just install the updates while you can and be happy! After April of 2020 you won't have any more on Windows 7. Ever.
    I'm afraid that's not true. Is XP gone forever? Is Windows 98 gone?

Look, I have Windows 10 running on an extra laptop, dual boot with Mint 17. I play with it once in awhile, and it's not that bad. I could live with it if I had to. But I choose not to, on my primary computer, and I don't want it forced on me so MS can attempt to reap profits from targeted advertising and sale of user data they get from W10 users.

By the way, I hear somebody is coming to your house soon, in the wee hours, to leave you a brand new model Yugo in exchange for your present vehicle. These new Yugos are neat. They phone home with data, reporting everywhere you go, and much more cool stuff. Hope you don't have a problem with that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rje49 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-03-25),mrjimphelps (2016-03-24)

Thanks
    I'm afraid that's not true. Is XP gone forever? Is Windows 98 gone?
    I am sorry to burst your bubble, but it is true. XP no longer is being developed and no longer receives updates, security or otherwise, and the same is true of all previous Windows permutations. Windows 7 will join the club in a few years. It is no longer being developed, and currently only receives security updates. In April 2020 even these security updates will end. In effect Windows 7 is already dead, and is resting comfortably in ICU.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I am sorry to burst your bubble, but it is true. XP no longer is being developed and no longer receives updates, security or otherwise, and the same is true of all previous Windows permutations. Windows 7 will join the club in a few years. It is no longer being developed, and currently only receives security updates. In April 2020 even these security updates will end. In effect Windows 7 is already dead, and is resting comfortably in ICU.
    I along with many others will continue using Win 7 until 2020 and when the time comes, I'll be upgrading with a new laptop - but in the meantime, Win 7 is still very much alive and kicking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast