Thread: Shutting Down

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Shutting Down

3 times in the past week "shutting down" appears on my display and my desktop powers off completely. No indication of why!

Thanks
    Did it power back up afterwards? If so, it might have installed an update which required a reboot.

If that isn't the case, then perhaps your computer is overheating. Is there any pattern to when it shuts down, such as after being on for a certain amount of time? You can download and run Speedfan to check the internal temperatures of the computer.

There might be a component going bad (video card, memory, etc). How old is your computer?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! Have you checked your reliability monitor or event viewer to see if there might be a clue to why it's shutting down. Also, when is the last time you cleaned out the dust. Are your fans running??
    As mrjim suggests, you might also have a component going bad.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Shutting Down

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Did it power back up afterwards? If so, it might have installed an update which required a reboot.

If that isn't the case, then perhaps your computer is overheating. Is there any pattern to when it shuts down, such as after being on for a certain amount of time? You can download and run Speedfan to check the internal temperatures of the computer.

There might be a component going bad (video card, memory, etc). How old is your computer?
    Thanks for your suggestions, It did not power back up and win 10 is supposed to ask me before it updates (unless I do' have the correct directions)
    There is no over heating, the fans and temperatures are at the proper levels according to speed fan . I have been running it since 2012. The Machine is 2011 Intel quad core and, 8gb ram, I run a UPS with good sine wave power. I run Norton and check disk occasionally. The machine is clean (last dust removal 3 months ago. It was running Win 7 until I installed the free win 10 upgrade.
    I have a feeling that win 10 doesn't like some of the older drivers. I have a lot of software and a Canon colour inkjet, Brother laser, HP scanjet and Logitech webcam. I will check event log. I haven't had an episode for four days.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-03-25 at 13:12. Reason: +]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian732 View Post
    I have a feeling that win 10 doesn't like some of the older drivers. I have a lot of software and a Canon colour inkjet, Brother laser, HP scanjet and Logitech webcam. I will check event log. I haven't had an episode for four days.
    You may be right about the older drivers.

I would start by installing updated versions of your drivers, if they are available. If that doesn't fix it, then try the following:

There is a really handy program called ShellExView. This program will allow you to disable drivers which are running on your computer, so as to see what is causing various issues. Basically, you disable stuff, reboot, and see if the problem has gone away. In this way, you can pinpoint what is causing the problem.

This can be a slow process, because you will disable something and then wait to see if the problem quits happening. So what I would suggest is, disable a group of drivers (say, half of them), to see if the problem goes away. If it goes away, then reenable half of those drivers, to see if the problem comes back or stays away. Finally, you will zero in on the one driver which is causing the problem, if in fact it is a driver.

Don't worry about disabling the Microsoft drivers. It's not likely one of them.

You have to reboot every time you change what is disabled / enabled, so it can take a while.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-03-25 at 14:27.