Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows sluggish as hell

It all started a few weeks ago when suddenly windows ui and everything started working sluggishly. I tried some things that were advised on the internet including increasing the page file to recommended, checking cpu/gpu usage, scanning for viruses/malware, etc but to no avail.

I didn't have a restore point either so I just decided to reinstall the whole thing from scratch. A week after the fresh install, its back go being sluggish. Games work fine, but the windows itself is just unbelievably slow. Everything takes forever to launch (especially if there is a background process of some sort running).

Its a fairly powerful CPU (i7 3.3ghz), plenty of ram (16gb), etc and the cpu/gpu usage don't spike at all (as it normally the case when everything runs slow). Again, no malware or viruses either (which would make the cpu spike from my experience) and again I have no idea what to do.

I used the dell website to check for hardware issues but all the tests were passed according to its app.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to reinstall everything from scratch again, and then have to keep doing it every week or so.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is Windows 10 the original OS or is it an upgrade from a previous OS?

Consider running Disk Cleanup with its default items at this time
    --- Additional items might make sense to check later on
    and CCleaner using only the default settings but not the registry

There's more that comes to mind but the answer to the above question is important

Thanks
    You need to see what is starting with your computer. What additional programs have you installed? Have you installed a third party AV or are you using Windows Defender? Many third party AVs will slow Windows down to a craw.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    You need to see what is starting with your computer. What additional programs have you installed? Have you installed a third party AV or are you using Windows Defender? Many third party AVs will slow Windows down to a craw.
    Nope. I disabled everything that is non-essential. I haven't even gotten to installing any third party AV yet.

I just ran windows performance report - no issues. Ran windows diagnostic test - no issues.

I am at my wits end here. I can send it to Dell for repair but I am 99 percent sure they will just send it back and say there are no problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Is Windows 10 the original OS or is it an upgrade from a previous OS?

Consider running Disk Cleanup with its default items at this time
    --- Additional items might make sense to check later on
    and CCleaner using only the default settings but not the registry

There's more that comes to mind but the answer to the above question is important
    It is an upgrade from Windows 8.1. When I did a fresh install, I could only do it this way. The 8.1 was also a fresh install and came with the Dell PC so I haven't used it at all prior to the upgrade.

I ran CCleaner and removed some temporary files but that didnt improve anything.
    Last edited by dimasok; 2016-03-24 at 16:41.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Nothing is starting that is non-essential. I used ESET antivirus. I installed it after the problems started to check for viruses. It was just a sluggish prior to the installation.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I have a couple of question. You said you reinstalled your OS and it was good for a week or two???
    What apps are you installing after the clean install? I'm also curious about your Anti-Virus program.
    I agree with johnson "Some AV's will slow Windows to a crawl. You say you are playing games. I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure we have some here on WS that would like to know what games your playing that might slow you down. I'm suspecting some thing running in the back ground slowing your PC down!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Which version of Win10 are you installing? Is it home or pro?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Which version of Win10 are you installing? Is it home or pro?

Joe
    Its Home

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I have a couple of question. You said you reinstalled your OS and it was good for a week or two???
    What apps are you installing after the clean install? I'm also curious about your Anti-Virus program.
    I agree with johnson "Some AV's will slow Windows to a crawl. You say you are playing games. I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure we have some here on WS that would like to know what games your playing that might slow you down. I'm suspecting some thing running in the back ground slowing your PC down!
    I have some games and apps installs. Nothing major that could interfere with anything. The games themselves work great. Its the WINDOWS itself that I am having issues with.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Which version? The November 1511 release or and Insider Preview build?

I have seen this occasionally on the latest Insider Preview build on my Surface Pro 3. When it happens I just re-boot and that takes care of it. I have not even tried to figure it out since I'm running a preview build. I'm hoping that the telemetry is reporting the issue to Microsoft.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Which version? The November 1511 release or and Insider Preview build?

I have seen this occasionally on the latest Insider Preview build on my Surface Pro 3. When it happens I just re-boot and that takes care of it. I have not even tried to figure it out since I'm running a preview build. I'm hoping that the telemetry is reporting the issue to Microsoft.

Joe
    Not the preview

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Start Task Manager and select the Performance tab. TaskMan in Windows 10 is finally feature complete and measures every subsystem properly. The first order of business is to find out which subsystem is giving you problems. It could be CPU, memory (RAM), disk or network. Your CPU and RAM seem better than average and so most likely it's one of the other two.

In my experience, mysterious performance problems mostly resolve to one of the following.

1). Whole disk content indexing;
    2). Whole disk anti-malware scans;
    3). Software updates and patches, either of Windows itself or one of your applications.

Other stuff like BOINC runs, Bitcoin mining and software renders, you are entirely in control of and ought to be aware of the performance implications.

TaskMan is good at identifying the troubled subsystem but not so good at identifying a more specific culprit. For that you often need to start up Resource Monitor (the button is found in TaskMan on the Performance tab). Then select the ResMon tab of the troubled subsystem. A list of the specific tasks causing work on the system is found on the left side and all columns can be sorted just by clicking on the headings.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with so many of the comments so far but I need clarification on the following because I don’t think we can assume windows 8.1 itself was running as well as it should be.

Please verify whether or not Windows 8.1 was running properly before upgrading to Windows 10.
    --- If there were any issues on 8.1, they could have carried over into the upgraded Windows 10.

Everything takes forever to launch (especially if there is a background process of some sort running).
    --- What are the background processes?

Maybe I’m not interpreting this part properly but I won’t know if I don’t ask
    --- When the issues in Windows 10 started happening and you did a fresh install, was it the Windows 10 fresh install? If so the base problem hadn’t been resolved yet.
    --- Is there a reason you did a fresh install of Windows 10 instead of reverting back to Windows 8.1?

It would also be good to know how you upgraded to Windows 10
    --- Did you use the get Windows 10 app from the lower right corner of the taskbar?

Thanks
    I was just reading this thread, again, and nowhere did I see anything about the 800# gorilla in the room. ???

Dimasok, have you ever heard or read anything about the HUGE problem known as "WUDO"?
    That's where Microsoft uses your computer to 'serve' updates to other users, making your computer work as a slave.

I don't even think of it as a problem because I just kill it during my initial setup of Windows 10.
    Here's what I found out from Bob Rankin:

Save your Bandwidth, and Kill WUDO

Instead of investing in a global Content-delivery system, Microsoft is using Your upload bandwidth to distribute its products. There's no evidence that WUDO is a threat to your privacy or security, but, it should be illegal, to use your computer as their own server without your express permission. And, who knows if it might not be subverted by evil hackers tomorrow?
    If you have a fast internet connection (especially the upload speed), and you're a trusting soul, and you don't mind facilitating the distribution of Windows 10 to your friends and neighbors, then do nothing. But if you prefer to disable WUDO, follow these steps:
    1. Open the W-10 Start Menu (not the Classic Shell Menu)
    2. Click on "Settings"
    3. Select "Update & Security"
    4. In the left-side pane, select "Windows Update"
    5. In the right-side pane, select "Advanced Options" (at the bottom of the page)
    6. In the new right-side pane that opens, select "Choose how updates are delivered"
    7. Move the slider control under "Updates from more than one place" to "OFF".
    Reboot and your PC should no longer be a slave to Microsoft.
    Cortana can be another big problem if left "ON", but that's another story.

And since Cortana means nothing to me and can be another security hole, I disable that too, by
    taking ownership of the Cortana Core.dll file and then renaming it to Cortana Core.ddd

With that file renamed to something other than .dll, it can't load and run, therefore disabling Cortana.
    Deleting Cortana all together, as some have recommended, can adversely affect other Windows functions,
    so that's not really an option, for me anyway.

These two things I've mentioned, may not solve your problem, but they can greatly increase your PC Security.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-03-29 at 12:20. Reason: Rule #5 should work both ways.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast