New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook 2016 losing emails in Inbox 2 years to less than a month

Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    Installed Office 2016 in July.
    Switched from POP3 to IMAP on Comcast.
    NOT using Outlook 365, just Outlook...

Began loosing email, instantly, there was/is NO auto-archive setting.

This week, with a five week Inbox, I lost the vertical scroll bar, and could only see three day's worth of emails. For the third (and fourth/got cut off mid-third time) time, I went to MS Support/Chat. Neither person could tell me, help me, or explain why the mail was disappearing.

Occasionally over the last six months, I ran searches, and earlier emails appeared, without a folder name, so I couldn't locate where they were hiding. I have 19 emails left visible, with 35.6GB in folder space being used, Inbox size: 22.9GB. I HAD two plus years of emails...now I have none that I can see or find, and my business is suffering, since my business email is also synchronized with my personal email.

I can't get any reply from posts to MS Blogs, and others are complaining there too.

• Can I return to POP3, from IMAP?
    • Is there a way to get IMAP emails to show themselves and tell you where they are hiding?
    • Will Microsoft ever admit to Outlook 2016 not working, and when they plan on making a fix?

Having written, and managed S/W Dev. I'd have been fired if I'd released a broken "MS Beta" (a/k/a V1.0) that was still not working seven months later.

• DOES ANYONE Know when MS will fix/make Outlook 2016 stable.

Oh yeah. Instead of buying an upgrade, I bought a new license, so I feel doubly screwed over with in not working...still.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can return to POP3 if Comcast will let you. I'd export everything in the current account to a PST file. Change to POP3 then open (do not import) the saved data file. You should be able to drag and drop everything from the backup PST file to your POP3 data file.

IMAP email is supposed to be a reflection of what is on the server. Can you use a web email interface to see if the email is still on the server?

Microsoft is releasing changes and fixes to Outlook 2016 almost every month.

Outlook 2016 has been very stable for me on two different machines I use plus others for which I am responsible,

PERSONAL OPINION only - based on the number of email issues I see here about Comcast I'd search for a different mail provider.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    PERSONAL OPINION only - based on the number of email issues I see here about Comcast I'd search for a different mail provider.
    Isn't that just because they have a lot of users? I've had zero problems with Comcast email in 15 years.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Bruce,

Could be. Glad you haven't had any issues. Size can make a difference in perception.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Isn't that just because they have a lot of users? I've had zero problems with Comcast email in 15 years.
    I haven't had any Email issues with Comcast either. Actually, both internet and TV have been good except when voles chew up the underground cable. Had it replaced twice now.
    Size can make a difference in perception
    Isn't that a little personal Joe.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't solve your problem, but taking regular backups may help. There is a free backup utility which sits nicely with Outlook 16. Set it to back up your PST file(s) on a daily basis, get it from https://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/