3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fowarding email msgs crashes Outlook 2003

Hi,

I'm using W7 Pro 32 bit & Outlook 2003 has been crashing & giving me this error Msg when I try to forward several emails:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
    Application Version: 11.0.5510.0
    Application Timestamp: 3f1380f0
    Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
    Fault Module Version: 11.0.9600.17842
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5565cf99
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00fff932
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    LCID: 1033
    Brand: Office11Crash
    skulcid: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Please advise if you have any ideas or solutions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have a system restore point you can try?
    Have you just upgraded to IE 11?
    Have you checked the event logs to see if there is more information?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just saw a suggestion that if you use the Outlook editor to compose messages you switch to using Word.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Just saw a suggestion that if you use the Outlook editor to compose messages you switch to using Word.

Joe
    Joe Ive used both, currently using Outlook editor, easier, more efficient. Word gets kludgy at times. Your above reply was somewhat vague. Shoud I use Outlook editor or word? I insert a lot of images into my emails to personalize them. That's why I use Outlook editor. It gets the job done quickly, easily.

Do you have a system restore point you can try? YES, tried to no avail. See image below.
    Have you just upgraded to IE 11? Haven't used ie for yrs, FF45.
    Have you checked the event logs to see if there is more information? What event logs & where are they located?

Tks,
    klx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    The suggestion was to use Word as your email editor.
    It is not that you use IE. The problem in your error message is in mshtml.dll which is part of IE. So changes to it can affect programs which use it particularly older programs like Office 2003 which is not aware of all the fixes which have been made over the years.
    To start the event view go to Start |Run. Type in eventvwr.msc. Look in the application log and system log.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The suggestion was to use Word as your email editor.
    It is not that you use IE. The problem in your error message is in mshtml.dll which is part of IE. So changes to it can affect programs which use it particularly older programs like Office 2003 which is not aware of all the fixes which have been made over the years.
    To start the event view go to Start |Run. Type in eventvwr.msc. Look in the application log and system log.

Joe
    Joe,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm an experienced W user (business 'above the code & hdwe') so I am puzzled as to what I'm to look for in the event logs I was able to get to? There were 10's of thousands of them??

klx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Errors pertaining to Outlook.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Errors pertaining to Outlook.

Joe
    Joe,

Found thousands of entries but non referring to Outlook.

Joe, the only reason I use Outlook 2003, W7 dropped OE & I had a copy of Outlook. Searched, Reviewed, installed many of the current PC based free email clients, none met my needs.

OE was perfect for over 2 decades, sent/ rec'd thousand of email, never had any problems, very straight forward to use.

Maybe you can help. My use of email is simple & is based on: effective business & personal communication, delivery of relevant attachments, sometimes forwarding to about a doz contacts. That's it! NO-Facebook, Twitter, Chat, I phone, Best Buddies, BFF's, Friend & Family, Virtual Reality, etc.

My Must haves:
    Ability to EMBED personalized PNG/Jpg images in body of email.
    Import/export contacts from a csv file.
    Support for: POP3, IMAP, SMTP.
    Spam Filter included.
    Able to handle up to 2 email accts. Could live with one.
    Program launch must show up in FF browser: FILE> 'email link' & WE> Rt Clk> sent to> 'mail recipient'.
    I would like to find a FREE program, but will buy one only if it works for me. (W7 Pro, 32 bit)

Since we put a 'man on the moon' in 1969, those requirements don't seem to much to expect.

If you will, please send me any suggestions you may have & I'll check them out.

Much Appreciation,

KLX

"effective communication is in the content of the message not the color of the envelope."
    Skodie Poovish, the younger, circa 973

Thanks
    I'm told that Claws is good. I use Thunderbird and it would appear to do everything you specify above. But I assume you've tried both of them and found them wanting in some way...
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, my recommendation is that if you want a modern, secure email client you stick with Outlook. Search to find the best prices for Outlook 2016 or Office Home & Business 2016.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I'm told that Claws is good. I use Thunderbird and it would appear to do everything you specify above. But I assume you've tried both of them and found them wanting in some way...
    access-mdb

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes & TB was the kludgyist will check out Claws. Just tried Opera, could not find a easy way to import csv contacts. Opera gave some popular options, but no selection for Outlook any version.

Most of the new new software use ribbon menus which I dont like. They would be Ok if "I" could choose only the commands "I" use 80% of the time I'd go for new software. No one has been able to explain/verify that to me.

I'm not a techie, but a retired business manager using PC's since the Vic 20 & all versions of DOS, DR DOS & Win. Have spent 25+ yrs troubleshooting, fixing, adding on functionalty to Win. W7 is now perfect for the Information Business I'm in. Tech stuff, etc is "Above the Code & HDWE". It's in the content I find, create and pass on freely to family, friends, collegues & anyone who may be helped by it.

regards,

klx

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Office 2003 on Win7 x64, and forwarding email messages does not cause a crash. However, if using Word as the editor, an attempt to forward a message usually (not always) results in an indefinite "hang", where nothing happens. During this time there is no CPU or disk activity, just nothing, and I have to cancel Outlook to recover. But if not using Word as the editor this does not happen, and the forward works normally. So in this scenario, I would caution about using Word as the editor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    With Outlook 2016 you can extensively customize the ribbon without too much effort. You can also customize the Quick Access Toolbar (aka QAT).

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I use Office 2003 on Win7 x64, and forwarding email messages does not cause a crash. However, if using Word as the editor, an attempt to forward a message usually (not always) results in an indefinite "hang", where nothing happens. During this time there is no CPU or disk activity, just nothing, and I have to cancel Outlook to recover. But if not using Word as the editor this does not happen, and the forward works normally. So in this scenario, I would caution about using Word as the editor.
    Bundaburra,

I just removed Word as my editor. And I can stlll inser images if I set the built in it to HTML. Don't have any multi forwards at this time to chk.

regards,

klx