5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One Calendar to Rule Them All ?

In the past 10 years, I've not needed much in the way of a calendar app other than the one hanging on the wall that I write stuff on. But things have changed some. I've got a bit more to keep track of these days and frequently need to check things when I'm away from my home (office).

Ideally, I would like a calendar that I could have on my Win7 PC and be able to access it from a Win10 PC, an Android phone, and possibly an iPad although that's not really a high priority.

After doing a net search, I've found plenty on PC calendars and Android calendars, but almost nothing on syncing the two. It looks like Outlook might work, but that's way overkill. The other option would seem to be Google calendar, but I've tried to avoid getting sucked into the whole Google+ ecosystem - mainly because I don't care for most social media stuff and have enough big brothers (and sisters) watching over me all ready.

So, does anyone have any practical suggestions other than the two I mentioned?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I use the calendar associated with my Microsoft account. You can access it from any PC using the web (Outlook.com) or Outlook or with Win10 the built-in Calendar app. You can access it from Android or IOS using a Microsoft app. Everything stays in synch since it is all the same calendar.

Two Win10 PCs and a Windows Phone. Wife uses Win10 notebook and Android phone.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had a look at Outlook.com and, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an email program? It's certainly what I am seeing when I go there.

There does seem to be a separate calendar.live.com which seems to be part of the Office Online suite. But there doesn't seem to be a separate MS Calendar app for Andriod. It looks like I have to install the entire Outlook app. I may have a look but I dislike having to install something THIS BIG when I only need something this big.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Outlook.com is the web mail access to your Microsoft account email. I'm just used to starting there on the odd occasion when I access via the web. You can easily get to the calendar from there. The calendar is not part of the Office Online suite. Microsoft has blurred the lines between the Office online apps and the rest of the online offerings. I think that is to get it to look somewhat like Office 365.

You do need to install the Outlook app which is significantly different that the Outlook program on a PC. You aren't forced to use the email part but you may like it if you give it a shot.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You do need to install the Outlook app which is significantly different that the Outlook program on a PC. You aren't forced to use the email part but you may like it if you give it a shot.
    I assume you mean that I have to install the Outlook app on Android. I did that with some caution because I'm using my regular POP email address for my Microsoft account. There is no way I would let Outlook get anywhere near that. But since it never asked for my POP email password, there's nothing it can screw up.

So now I need to access the online Calendar and see how that works then check it in Android.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After spending an extremely few hours this weekend, here is what I have to report: Nothing. No luck at all. And the only things I can find on the internet seem to be outdated because they seem to be geared to syncing the Google Calendar with Outlook Calendar.

There is an Outlook app for Andriod and it should, in theory, be able to sync with the Outlook calendar online - but it doesn't. And I suspect that the reason it doesn't is the assumption that I actually use Outlook (rather than just the calendar) and am using a MS email address (which I am not).

So, for now, I think I am going to stop beating my head against the Outlook wall and see if I can find a different wall to beat my head against. Any other suggestions?

I know one person who installed Chrome and uses it exclusively for Google/Android related stuff. That might end up being an alternative. It's becoming increasingly difficult to pick and choose what you want to use without sucked into an entire ecosystem of interrelated apps that compete with every other ecosystem of interrelated apps.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware