Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 update or fresh install?

My install of Win 7 is old and cranky. Some things are broken internally that i cannot find or fix, little stuff like not being able to install a new version of Process explorer, or get rid of the splash screen in FastPicture Viewer.
    Windows 10 is on offer, I have it on a laptop, and I like what I have seen so far.

If I just switch to Win 10 as an upgrade, how likely is is that those niggling problems will propagate?

If I just upgrade, that will be the first time as I always preferred to start over with a fresh install in the past.

I have a very old copy of Office 2003 that works just fine for me (and does NOT have that GD ribbon) that I would like to keep.

Opinions appreciated. Experiences treasured.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    In my opinion, a fresh install is always better, particularly when you know that you have issues with your current build.

If you just update, how likely is it that you will even know whether 'those niggling problems' have propagated? Do you want to take that risk?

Have a look at this How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First guide.

I've used this method successfully more than a dozen times so far.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Have a look at this How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First guide.

I've used this method successfully more than a dozen times so far.
    Aren't most of those steps unnecessary now that you can enter a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could see if this fix applies to FastPicture Viewer https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-h...plash-screens/

If you can install the latest version of Process Explorer in Safe Mode with Networking then it may be your AV program that is blocking it and reinstalling your AV program may be that solution.

What does a sfc /scannow or checkdsk /f report ?

Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com has proven successful in resolving problems which you could also try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR
    Aren't most of those steps unnecessary now that you can enter a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10?
    Yes, in a perfect world. Unfortunately I've seen many, many posts about 'entering a Windows 7 key' either not working or, especially with laptops, the product key on the COA sticker being indecipherable due to wear/tear/heat damage. When this happens I don't have the patience to revert back to an earlier, eligible Windows version, upgrade to Windows 10 then carry out a clean install.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One concern that I failed to state is the amount of program data on my C: drive. Is there some way to transfer this data from W-7 to a clean install of W-10?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I cited that problem with the FPV splash screen as an example of their trivial nature. Other functions of FPV had failed as well and an e-mail dialog with the developer failed to resolve those issues. The splash screen has a "do not show again" checkbox that worked when I first purchased the program but failed after some unknown change. Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if I save this program data, how do I integrate it after a re-install of the software? I'm not sure I need it but it would be seriously inconvenient if I do.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Not sure what you're wanting. I have all my down load programs saved on a flash drive. Some might need to be reinstalled after up grade; but MHO, I think you will be fine. After I upgraded with the MCT, the only program that I had to reinstall was Speccy! I have used the MCT on 6 computers and all the programs worked just fine after the upgrade.
    I can't guarantee you will have the same results. My best advice would to be to create a back up image of W7 before you do the upgrade
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-03-25 at 21:11.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you are saying. You upgraded with MCT (which is?) and only had to reinstall one program. If I do a fresh install from scratch, presumably I will have to re-install everything because I am starting at zero. My concern is loss of the program data on the current W-7 build. Maybe it's not important, it hasn't been in the past when no such thing existed.

I find building mountains out of mole-hills to be almost second nature.

My greatest loss would be that old Office 2003 that I just love. I was unable to install it on the W-10 laptop and presume having the same problems with the big box.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't think I ever clean installed an operating system in an existing system. I have always upgraded over the existing installation.

The reason for doing so is not having to go through the setup and configuration of the many programs I use. I can't say I have ever regretted this (or, at least, I have no recollection of ever regretting it ).

I can't give a definitive advice but, if I were you, I would image, perform an upgrade to Windows 10 and see how things would behave. If the system behaves normally, you have saved yourself many hours and some headaches. If it doesn't, you can always clean install Windows 10 or even go back to 7.

The fact that I would do this doesn't mean I think this is what you should do. It's just what I would do .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I understand. It occurs to me that my ass is covered. Paranoid me, my box boots off of a 250 G SSD that I clone to a backup every other week. This is exclusively for the OS and ancillary files, data is on spinning disks. Thus, I have a working W-7 disk if things go south.

I can do an upgrade installation of W-10 to the spare OS disk and work off of this to see what copies and what fails.

I'll post to this thread as things go well or badly. Thanks to you all.

Dan Lynch
    I'm a geologist, what do I know?
    Last edited by stonecherub; 2016-03-25 at 22:11. Reason: missing apostrophe
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    Dan Lynch
    I'm a geologist, what do I know?
    Well, your experience is as valid as anyone else's . Do let us know how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well you're going to have to make a choice and choose what you risk. You can:

1). Perform an in-place upgrade which ought to keep your Office 2003 running (unless it is incompatible);
    2). Perform a clean, from-scratch install which will certainly clear out the "old and cranky" bits.

To tell the truth though, for maximum safety, with either path you need a full backup as a way of going back to your old configuration. That's your ace in the hole in case something is dramatically wrong with the install.

Personally I lean towards the clean install.

Large amounts of data are rarely a problem these days. The only challenge is making sure you know where it all is. In my experience most of the important stuff is found in the following locations:

C:\Users\[YourAccount]\Documents
    C:\Users\[YourAccount]\Favorites
    Repeat for as many accounts as you have on the computer. Some really old software will install a program folder at the root and may create a data folder inside that program folder. Like this:

C:\WPWin\Documents
    That however, is getting awfully rare.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When programs get cranky, reinstalling them usually resolves.

I hate to see a good Win 7 go to waste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast