Robin_Freestun

English(Australian) Dictionary in Office - is NOT!

I have seen a number of Office 97 installations of Word where the language has been set to English(Australian) - yes we speak English in Australia [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] - but the spellchecker steadfastly insists on US spelling for such words as organiz/se where we Australians prefer the 's' instead of the 'z'. As long as it's consistent, I don't really mind, but there are some who would go to WAR over it [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Well, now I have a user with a Word 2000 installation with this problem.

How can I get an Office 2000 dictionary file which REALLY is authentic, Dinky-Di, True-Blue 'Strayan, or STRINE, (choose your expression) AUSTRALIAN, as wot the Macquarie Dictionary says is REAL AUSSIE. (please - [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

Ta, in appreciation, before-the-event-wise, Robin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: English(Australian) Dictionary in Office - is NOT!

Robin

The language is set on a paragraph by paragraph basis. Select the paragraph that wants to stick zeds in otherwise correctly spelt words and have a look at the language setting. My Aussie dictionary does the right thing in Word 97.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Robin_Freestun

I'll check it a bit further before continuing, but the usual solutions don't fix it.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Robin.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The built in aussie dictionary recognises organise and organize as correct.

The answer is to create an exclude dictionary containing words in the normal dictionary you want rejected.

There is a KB article on this at
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...R=0&qry=exclude dictionary&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WRD20
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Robin_Freestun

First thoughts - Nah, that can't be right - but [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img] you're right! But you KNEW that [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] - 'I' needed convincing, NOW I'm double confused, WHY does my client's Word complain at all?! - I MUST explore some more. Thanks for the kb link.
    Robin.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

But it does reject "color" and accept "colour"- if the Aussie version has been set up correctly.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Robin_Freestun

Confusin' isn't it! And there are STILL people prepared to go to war over SPELLING!!!
    Robin [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And if you want to know why it is,look it up, not in you Funk and Wagnalls but in Macquarie, no less. That is the dictionary on which the Word Aussie dictionary is based.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia