2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 and Drive Letters

My Win 10PC has 2 hard drives(C & D), two opticals(E & F) and my removable is G. I have a spare SSD that I'd like to use for file history. Is Win10 smart enough to figure out it should be "H" and recognize that I've already used "G" for something? Thanks.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    It sometimes is

If not it can be easily changed in Disk Management.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your smiley makes me nervous.....

My last experience with DM and adding a disk, was most unpleasant, altho' I must admit it was a long time ago. However, some things you never forget and this was one of them. Of course, the genius behind the keyboard has nothing to do with success or failure. It's all the OS's fault of course.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    The SSD is a poor choice for File History. Writes are the hardest thing on an SSD and that would be the predominant operation. Unless it is too small, you would be much better off using it as your C drive where you would take advantage of the SSD speed compared to a hard drive.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The SSD is a poor choice for File History. Writes are the hardest thing on an SSD and that would be the predominant operation. Unless it is too small, you would be much better off using it as your C drive where you would take advantage of the SSD speed compared to a hard drive.

Jerry
    Thanks for the info...I did not give that a thought.

The files on the SSD became corrupted during the first attempt @ Win10 install that failed. I thought the drive had failed, but it hadn't. I fixed it with software from Crucial. Don't know that I could trust it to be "C" again. It's a 500GB drive sitting in a box doing nothing.

Thanks
    Clone your C drive to the SSD, which gives you an exact, bootable copy, swap over the drives and then use the old drive for files. I prefer DriveClone Free which automatically ensures that your partition is correctly "aligned" for SSDs, which is important for getting the best performance out of your drive, and it can clone to the same, smaller, or bigger disk with auto partition resizing. Its also very fast. There are, of course, several other free programs available, of which several, no doubt, will be suggested by forum members.

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Check the drive letters in Disk Manager on completion of the disk swap and adjust the drive letters to your preference. DriveClone maintains the drive letter sequence better than most, but adjustments are sometimes required to meet your own preferences.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have EaseUS software and I watched a Youtube video on how easy it is to clone a disk. So, I clone from "C" to the SSD. Assuming, that is successful, I can leave my current "C" drive in place and re-letter it.

Given that it has the OS on it, now that it's assigned a new drive letter, Windows will now let me format it, correct?

Thanks
    Swap over the SATA connectors so that your new drive is now on SATA1 and the old drive is on SATA2. This will ensure that it will boot from the SSD, if you don't, you will need to change the boot order in the bios. Otherwise your assumption is correct.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-03-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the info.