Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows "Defender" vs "Security Essentials"

Please clear up for me the relationship between "Windows Defender" and "Windows Security Essentials". I was of the impression that WSE was a part of WD on Windows 7 systems. But that does not seem to be the case? Is it WSE a part of WD on Win 10?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bill,

MSE and WD are one and the same although WD is the later version. MSE was an add-on to Windows you had to download it and install it. In later versions of Windows it was BAKED-IN to Windows and re-branded Windows Defender. As memory serves (and it is getting worse by the day) the demarcation point was W7 (MSE) Win 8 (WD).

HTH

Edit: As I said worse by the day according to this Wikipedia entry it was XP/Vista.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But Windows Defender on Windows 7 and prior was anti-spyware only. Windows Defender acquired anti-virus capability (like MSE) in Windows 8 and 10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So on a Win 7 Home Premium system, one should install both in order to have anti-virus? Meaning to have both anti-spyware AND anti-virus on Win 7 systems.
    Last edited by GraeagleBill; 2016-03-26 at 19:55.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Neither MSE or WD are well rated.

The free Panda antivirus is gaining some reputation and the free MBAM for your scanner would be recommended.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/home...ree-antivirus/

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

I don't use Panda but after installing MBAM and it has updated its Definitions, click on Settings/Detection and Protection then use the dropdowns to treat PuPs and PuMs as malware.

Then go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to MBAM - right click on it and select Properties then use the dropdown to change to Disabled - Apply - OK

Close Services and reboot.

MBAM will still start from the desktop icon as and when but will not be using up resources from boot.

You can turn WD off to save you from being pestered with updates for it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-off=windows-7

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GraeagleBill View Post
    So on a Win 7 Home Premium system, one should install both in order to have anti-virus? Meaning to have both anti-spyware AND anti-virus on Win 7 systems.
    34. What about Windows Defender?
    Windows Defender (on Windows 7, Vista, and XP) provided spyware protection only.
    MSE provides protection against spyware, viruses, Trojans, worms, root kits, and malicious scripts. Therefore, there is no need for Windows Defender.
    • On Windows 7/Vista, MSE should disable Defender. If not, you should disable it.

Microsoft Security Essentials Consolidated FAQ

Thanks
    Actually, ratings for Windows Defender/MSE have improved significantly although it is still near the bottom of the pack. Personally, along with periodic runs of Malwarebytes, I think it is good enough and it is by far the least intrusive and easiest to use AV application.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Neither MSE or WD are well rated.
    And I know an arrogant SOB of a so-called IT expert who can, reluctantly, testify to that after one of his clients network got hit with CryptoLocker - twice.

BUT, if you are taking about a personal computer and you are careful what you do and have good control over your email and browsing - it should do the job. As mentioned, a monthly checkup with Malwarebytes is always a good idea.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-03-28 at 10:50.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Emcee (2016-04-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AFAIK CryptoLocker is usually self inflicted by the user though and isn't something that would normally be picked up by an AV program.

Thanks
    I lost interest in MSE after reading a few years ago that Microsoft doesn't put much effort into it. However, the fact that MSE / Windows Defender is free, set-and-forget, and very easy to use means that people will actually use it. That, along with carefulness on the part of the user, means that the user will likely get at least adequate protection from it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll use MSE for the time being.
    Thanks for all the input,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    AFAIK CryptoLocker is usually self inflicted by the user though and isn't something that would normally be picked up by an AV program.
    I think you're right on the first count, but perhaps not on the second:

MSE (Windows 7) and WD (Win.8/10) have detected/prevented (probably) Cryptolocker for 2.5 years;

Is any work being done at Microsoft to enable Security Essentials to detect an attack by Ransomware such as Cryptolocker?

Cryptolocker Virus: I was wondering if Microsoft Security Essential (Win 7) and Windows Defender (Win 8) will stop this infection?

But of course, as with any malware, it's a question of keeping up-to-date with the latest variants.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    MSE (Windows 7) and WD (Win.8/10) have detected/prevented (probably) Cryptolocker for 2.5 years;
    MSE didn't help these folks 2 years ago and they had no Group policies in effect either. I'm not sure how many actually do work now, and MS has come quite a way, but it still seems underpowered for anything beyond a home computer.

FWIW, Bitdefender has a free standalone blocker.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think you're right on the first count, but perhaps not on the second:

Is any work being done at Microsoft to enable Security Essentials to detect an attack by Ransomware such as Cryptolocker?

Cryptolocker Virus: I was wondering if Microsoft Security Essential (Win 7) and Windows Defender (Win 8) will stop this infection?

But of course, as with any malware, it's a question of keeping up-to-date with the latest variants.
    Your first link suggests MSE will be playing catch up which I suppose is true for all AV programs, whereas it has a bead on one variant as in the second link.

There are 3rd party programs such as CryptoPrevent which is specifically designed to block them but it has to be kept up to date with its Definitions as does any AV program.

I wouldn't recommend that program though as it was blocking Control Panel cmds on mine and I found it difficult to uninstall and had to use my restore points to get rid of it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo,

The blocking of Control Panel commands (.cpl) is controllable by settings in the Advanced Settings menu of Cryptolocker.

Zig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast