Thanks

Why didn't I think of that first?

This is another one of those from my signature-line Jack Sparrow quote, " "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"

In my small home town we have some issues with the electrical system. Once or twice a month we will have an almost instantaneous power dropout, just a flicker of the lights. The AC will keep running, the frig will keep running, but the PC will reboot most of the time. Once or twice a year we may have a 10-15 minute power loss, maybe even half an hour.

These reboots can be of little consequence unless I happen to be working on something, then it's lost and I have to start over from my last save. So I got a small UPS (15 minutes runtime with the load I had at that time). That takes care of the quick drops, and gives me time to save and shutdown in case of a longer outage. When I'm gone, the PC is logged off, and the reboots don't really amount to anything.

Last night I was running a quick errand, and the power went out and stayed out for 5 hours (there was a storm and lots of lightning). I had not logged off. By the time I got back from my errand, the UPS had drained its battery. This morning, the PC went through almost booting, showing the UEFI splash screen, powering off, then powering back on and trying again. I tried all the usual reset stuff (including removing the CMOS battery) but nothing worked.

My NAS has the same motherboard and CPU as my PC, but boots from a SSD, had been logged off at the time of the power failure, and it was running fine. Thinking that draining the UPS would be the equivalent of a brownout, I considered that there might be some component damage, and decided to unplug everything in the case except the boot drive. That was when I remembered that the UPS was connected to the PC via USB. I unplugged the USB cable from the UPS and powered up the PC, and it booted normally.

Which brings me to another quote from a superintendent I had 50 years ago. "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."

When troubleshooting boot problems, unplug all the externals first.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My APC UPS connection to my PC is also by USB; the APC software automagically puts the computer in hibernate if a prolonged blackout. ??Have you enabled Hibernate in your Power Settings??

Zig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    My APC UPS connection to my PC is also by USB; the APC software automagically puts the computer in hibernate if a prolonged blackout. ??Have you enabled Hibernate in your Power Settings??

Zig
    I had it set for shutdown after 5 minutes, but that was before I built my NAS. The UPS protects both my PC and my NAS from the power glitches, but can only shutdown the PC, and the UPS can only provide not quite 5 minutes of battery power to both, so I reset the configuration. My intention all along has been to get another small UPS to dedicate to the NAS (and configure for shutdown), but I hadn't yet got around to that.

I've had enough time on battery to do an orderly shutdown on both the PC and the NAS, and being logged off hasn't caused an issue. But I will be ordering another in a day or two, and configuring both for shutdown. The NAS boots from a SSD, and the PC boots from a hybrid SSHD, so boot time is fairly insignificant compared to hibernation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows