Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for Thunderbird required

My wifeís PC was recently infected by Locky. After wiping the disc and restoring a two month old image everything is OK, except for Thunderbird. The emails prior to mid January are there, but unable to remember her passwords, she canít send or receive email.

Having spent many hours trying to sort it out, itís time to use another email client. There must be something other than TB and webmail, but unable to find any on the Windows Secrets site.

Iím sure some kind soul can name a replacement. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    My wifeís PC was recently infected by Locky. After wiping the disc and restoring a two month old image everything is OK, except for Thunderbird. The emails prior to mid January are there, but unable to remember her passwords, she canít send or receive email.

Having spent many hours trying to sort it out, itís time to use another email client. There must be something other than TB and webmail, but unable to find any on the Windows Secrets site.

Iím sure some kind soul can name a replacement. Thanks.
    A program that is working fine for some of my clients is OE Classic, great for those moving from WinXP's Outlook Express.
    http://www.oeclassic.com/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Banyarola (2016-03-30),georgelee (2016-03-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The emails prior to mid January are there, but unable to remember her passwords, she can’t send or receive email.
    I might be a bit dense this morning, but the only password you need with Thunderbird is the one for your email account. If she can't remember what that is, she won't be able to access the email regardless of what email client she uses.

Whoever the email provider is should have some provision for a lost password.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-06),georgelee (2016-03-28)

Thanks
    Have you tried Nir Sofer's MailPassView to retrieve your Thunderbird mail password?
    Some antivirus programs object to various instances of his programs, which you can ignore.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, but I am still looking.

@Berton.
    OEClassic was the first client tried when upgrading to Win 8 forced me to find a new email client. I didn’t like it and finally settled for Thunderbird as an almost acceptable substitute for OE. Assuming it would have improved by now I downloaded it, only to discover it cost $25, too much to pay out for something that has disappointed once. Admittedly, the $25 is refundable if not satisfied, but not the two lots of rip-off exchange fees.

@gsmith-plm
    Misunderstood both your messages initially. Puzzled by the heading of the PM, before realising it didn’t relate to the content, then assumed #3 was saying that if she is unable to remember one password she would forget others. Only discovered my mistake after downloading eM client. If unable to find an email client that doesn’t need to know her Sky p/w she will have to make do with her Yahoo webmail.

@BATcher
    The initial page says it can recover TB passwords provided there is no master p/w, but every time it’s opened it asks for that. Downloaded anyway, but the only files there are a note soliciting donations and a HTML Help page with no content.

It just hasn’t been my day!
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    @Berton.
    OEClassic was the first client tried when upgrading to Win 8 forced me to find a new email client. I didnít like it and finally settled for Thunderbird as an almost acceptable substitute for OE. Assuming it would have improved by now I downloaded it, only to discover it cost $25, too much to pay out for something that has disappointed once. Admittedly, the $25 is refundable if not satisfied, but not the two lots of rip-off exchange fees.
    As I understand the notes in the list of features, the monetary cost is for the Pro version, a couple of examples shown are if wanting to use Identities or if wanting to request new features.
    http://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-identities

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @gsmith-plm
    Misunderstood both your messages initially. Puzzled by the heading of the PM, before realising it didn’t relate to the content, then assumed #3 was saying that if she is unable to remember one password she would forget others. Only discovered my mistake after downloading eM client. If unable to find an email client that doesn’t need to know her Sky p/w she will have to make do with her Yahoo webmail.
    Perhaps I'm just not following. Thunderbird does not, by itself, require a password. The email account(s) it's going to access DO require passwords. If the user cannot remember the password(s) to the email account(s), then regardless of what client is used, they won't be able to get or send mail.

To repeat - regardless of who the email provider is (yahoo, gmail, comcast, 100's of others), you must know the password for the email account itself. Without it, you cannot access the mail. If those passwords are missing, then the email provider should be able to help recover them.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To add about the password, all ISPs require a username [may be the actual E-Mail address] and a password to access the account whether using an installed E-Mail Client or Webmail/Online access they provide on their site. Those have to be what the ISP assigns. Webmail such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, etc., allow more flexibility in what a user can choose and set.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If email accounts didn't have a password or if such password was not used to access the mailbox messages, everybody could read such messages, simply by specifying the email address. Surely the provider will provide a password reset mechanism, either through a web access or through customer support.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    As I understand the notes in the list of features, the monetary cost is for the Pro version, a couple of examples shown are if wanting to use Identities or if wanting to request new features.
    http://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-identities
    In reality there is no free version, at least not initially, as it states that user name and password are only supplied with the Pro version – which is bordering on a scam.

Presumably it is possible to sign up for the Pro version, get the required details and then, at some stage in the trial period, ask for the refund and use the user and p/w supplied to access the free version. However, given the behaviour noted above, I would not put it past them to cancel the log on details along with the refund.

Not the sort of outfit I wish to deal with.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    To add about the password, all ISPs require a username [may be the actual E-Mail address] and a password to access the account whether using an installed E-Mail Client or Webmail/Online access they provide on their site. Those have to be what the ISP assigns. Webmail such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, etc., allow more flexibility in what a user can choose and set.
    Of course I realise that it is impossible to use email without knowing the p/w, that’s the reason for starting a new account with another email client and a new user name and p/w.

But setting up eM seems especially difficult. It asked for the user name before supplying one, so, not knowing the format they require, I entered ester@emclient, then after being told to use a valid name, ester@emclient.com, and finally her Sky address. They may have sent an email to that address, but as Thunderbird is blocked, it cannot be received. At some stage, before or after this, a licence appeared which had to be inserted in the application, then click Activate, but the only options were Deactivate and Close. This morning I tried sending a message asking how to overcome this, which failed when they requested the password.

There must be some way to open an email account without the need to know the p/w from another account, as everyone has to start with a first account, so why do they make it so difficult.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2016-03-29 at 09:19. Reason: Paragraph spacing

Thanks
    FossaMail, "an alternative version of the Mozilla Thunderbird mail&news client, and based on the Pale Moon browser core", would be an easy conversion but you must find out which passwords are blocking you from connecting (Thunderbird has it's own Master Password function, as do all legit/secure email providers) before using the FossaMail/Thunderbird Migration tool.

Use a web browser to access the (Yahoo -based) Sky email and reset the password.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2016-04-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course I realise that it is impossible to use email without knowing the p/w, that’s the reason for starting a new account with another email client and a new user name and p/w.
    But why do you need a new email client program? If you like Thunderbird, and you are going to start a new email account, just change Thunderbird to use a different account.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In reality there is no free version, at least not initially, as it states that user name and password are only supplied with the Pro version Ė which is bordering on a scam.

Presumably it is possible to sign up for the Pro version, get the required details and then, at some stage in the trial period, ask for the refund and use the user and p/w supplied to access the free version. However, given the behaviour noted above, I would not put it past them to cancel the log on details along with the refund.

Not the sort of outfit I wish to deal with.
    I think the point has been missed. One doesn't need a password to install and use the program, only need the username and password assigned by the ISP for the E-Mail Account so as to access the messages. The program runs without having to set up that account, just doesn't yet have any data to work with. I've had it installed on a couple of computers for some time now without needing a password to open the program. Even Microsoft Outlook can be installed and opened without having a password but then in order to do anything more one has to set up an E-Mail Account, again back to the requirement of whatever ISP is used. Or simply put in other words, E-Mail is 2 steps, install and run an E-Mail Client then set up an Account or open an Internet browser then go to a Webmail provider to set up or access an Account.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2016-04-03)

Thanks
    Thanks Berton..I have been looking for something to replace TB..TB has always been quirky to me..
    I am looking into it now..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast