2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would second router be solution?

We are thinking of "cutting the cable cord" for TV service. But, our dilemma is this. Our router is filled up with 2 PC's, security cameras and Ooma.

We would like to subscribe to a video streaming service such a Playstation-Vue or Sling, but think an ethernet connection would be more efficient and more problem free than our wireless connection. I did think about replacing the router Netgear WGT624 v. 3 with a newer router and using the old one strictly to hookup to our Smart TV. Would there be another more practical solution? Thanks.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    Not a second router, but rather a switch. A router will try to issue IP addresses, and you don't want to have two devices doing that. A switch will simply make one of your router ports into multiple ports.

Here's an eight port switch. This will give you six ports more than you currently have, plenty for future use.

Keep in mind that whatever is plugged into the switch will have slower bandwidth than those devices which are plugged directly into the router.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-03-28 at 12:09.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Peaches,

According to the User Manual for the WGT624v3 it is only a 10/100 Mbps router. I don't think you really want to hang a switch off of that.

I'd suggest a new 1000 Mbps (or 1 Giga-Bit) router. You may well still need a switch (also a 1 Giga-Bit) but then at least the ports on the switch will be sharing a 1000 Mbps connection NOT a 100 Mbps one!

Switches are not very expensive. I use this one: TrendNet.

Router's on the other hand can be quite expensive depending on the features and port count. If you give us an idea of your budget for a router we could be of more assistance.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-03-28)

Thanks
    Also, by getting a new, faster router, you will get more up-to-date security than what you currently have.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My vote is for a new Wireless N or AC Router with 4 Ethernet ports and an Uplink for the Modem plus a 5-port or 8-port Switch, both Gigabit. My Network is set up that way plus I have 2 NAS drives and 2 Printers attached by cable, any computer can use them including Win10, Win7, Mac OS X and Linux Mint. As you update computers include the change to 802.11AC whenever possible, at least that's my plan for the future.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been all for a new router a long time ago. I didn't realize the capacity of our router was so limited

So, in answer to a question about budgets, cost is not an issue. Is there a newer router that you could suggest? Maybe one that has an extra port or two so we wouldn't have to use a switch? Thanks so much to all who answered. You all have been most helpful.

I liked what I have read about the Netgear Nighthawk series of routers.
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2016-03-28 at 13:12.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    Peaches,

Here's a link to Tom's Hardware Recommendations for current routers.

Here's a link to CNET's version.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Peaches,

8 port routers are not easy to find nor are they cheap.

Here 's one.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much. Everyone has been very helpful.