Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there any easy way to discover (and fix) why IE 11 occasionally locks up my entire PC?

Is there any easy way to discover (and fix) why InternetExplorer 11 occasionally locks up my entire PC for around 40 seconds? Even the cursor will not move during thislockup.This is annoying, but has beenhappening for a long time and doesn't seem to cause a long term problem.In addition, the lockup usually only happensonce after I boot up in the morning (I typically turn off my PCovernight.)

So far, I have taken the following steps to try to find/fixthe problem:

1. I turned OFF GPUrendering in Internet Explorer 11 and selected "Use software instead"(first option under "Advanced" in IE 11)

(There are over 60 additional "Advanced" options,some of which are checked and some not, but I'm not sure what most of them do. In any event, this is a plain vanillainstallation and shouldn't have any exotic or rarely used options enabled.)

2. I disabled alladd-ons in Internet Explorer 11, including add-ons that were loaded AND add-onsthat were not loaded.

Neither of the above two changes seemed to eliminate thelock-up - it's still happening a few minutes after startup each morning .

I'm using the current version ( I think ) of InternetExplorer 11:
    Version:11.0.9600.18230; Update Versions:11.0.29 (KB3139929)
    IE 11 is running on a Dell Inspiron 5720 with Windows 7Professional Service Pack 1

Is there any (easy) way to find out what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    First try resetting IE to defaults by clicking on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Advanced tab you will see the Reset button and this requires a reboot to effect.

On the odd occasion I reset, I check all of the boxes and then have to change my home page back to www.google.co.uk when it defaults to the MSN page.

IE has a Fix it to make IE safe and stable you can try, else look in Event Viewer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...nce_and_safety

Thanks
    There may be a long-running script running when you visit some websites.

My computer was as slow as molasses at many websites. Here's what I did to fix it:
    I uninstalled Flash -- if you do this, there will sometimes be a video you can't watch.
    I installed AdBlockPlus -- be sure to turn off the white list, because companies pay to get on ABP's white list.

I also installed No Script -- but it is only for Firefox, so it won't help you with IE.

After doing these three things, my web surfing is at a normal, reasonable speed.

Thanks
    As wild as this will sound, daily clearing my browsers' cache files really helped speed things along in my three computers! ccenhancer kicks in ccleaner at coldpost/boot and restart. Ok, this will help the SLOWness, however, this may not help the lockups, I'll listen in and learn right along with ya.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    It may be nothing to do with IE11 if its happening after boot. Have you tried an alternative browser. It does suggest, however, that some program is struggling to start up and this is causing the PC to freeze whilst it does so. (I assume you've checked for malware.)
    Install Autoruns and disable any startups that aren't required to run automatically, check for programs that you don't recognize and then check the rest by a process of elimination.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb963902.aspx

Thanks
    [QUOTE=mrjimphelps;1050343]There may be a long-running script running when you visit some websites.

I installed AdBlockPlus -- be sure to turn off the white list, because companies pay to get on ABP's white list.

I don't see any option to turn off the white list ABP..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    There may be a long-running script running when you visit some websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I don't see any option to turn off the white list ABP..
    I read about the ABP white list, and that companies pay to get on it. Unfortunately, I can't check it right now, because my normal computer died (the one with ABP installed on it), and I can't install ABP on my work computer in order to check it there.

Thanks
    Thanks..When you can let me know.
    Here's a screen shot of what I see when I select settings on ABP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's no mention of a White List in ABP's settings so I suspect this will be something done at code level and not available to Joe Public.

Thanks
    Well Sudo, I guess that settles that..
    Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've had to use the Manage to allow adverts on two websites - one, because I had to, to access it and the other was because it blocked dynamic info.

This seems to be the extent of the end user's control.

Thanks
    I have a few exceptions also like my bank and a few others..I just have very few problems with ABP..Annnnd, the price is right too!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, to make the point, this isn't supposed to happen. And no, finding out why it is happening isn't exactly easy. It's not hard either but a lot of people kind of expect this:

Fanciful IE Error Message.png

The things to try:

1). Try using a different browser. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, whatever. Try anything different. See if the problem remains;
    2). I've seen lots of people over the years get stuck on their initial or routine purpose. Mix it up instead. In this case make sure you are visiting more than one website. The point here is to determine if it's one website that is the problem or if it's all websites;
    3). Try any local programs. I like Notepad because it is about as small and simple an application as you can get and still be a Windows application. Does it freeze up?

There are many other possible steps including some really obvious ones (Task Manager). However the above will get you started.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Until the OP comes back, we won't know if any of the suggestions have helped - but it could also be an overheating problem until the fans bring the temp back down for things to start working again.

As it only occurs first thing, the fans could be a bit sluggish in getting going, especially if it's been a while since the inside of the machine had last seen an air duster can.

Thanks
    There are often long-running scripts which hang everything up till they finish running. If you use Firefox, you can use NoScript. I suspect that will help a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast