2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't do cold start directly to UEFI/BIOS display on laptop

Have a Toshiba C55-A5126 which under Windows 8.1 would cold boot into the UEFI/BIOS/Boot Order display by holding down F2 (only not with FN-key) and pressing the start button.
    Under Windows 10 I have tried ESC, F1, F2, F10, f12, and DEL and hitting the start button and cannot get to that UEFI display unless I first boot to the login screen then hold down F2 and do a restart.
    Is there a way to get to the BIOS/UEFI display from a cold start which could occur and need to be used to recover?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fast startup is enabled in windows 10 by default. This could cause your cold boot problems. right click start > control panel > power options > choose what the power buttons do > change settings that are currently unavailable and uncheck turn on fast startup. Save changes.

I just discovered my insider preview build 14295.1000 running in a virtual machine does not have the fast startup setting. Hope this didn't cause any confusion.
    Last edited by mledman; 2016-04-03 at 22:34.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can go to start>settings>update and security>recovery>advanced options>restart. This will give you the option to enter your bios.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote