3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgraded and printer will not work

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. All seems OK but my printer – an old HP970CXi – will not work. Under printer properties there is the message “this device is working properly”. There is also information to say that the device was installed giving a time that was during the upgrade, but on the same page there is the message:

“Device USBPRINT\HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET_970C\6&39bfe193&1&USB001 requires further installation.”

I have tried Troubleshoot printer and that indicated a problem as Fixed. The obvious solution would be to delete the printer and re-install, but as it is a very old printer I cannot be sure that the system would find a compatible printer driver – what should I do.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It probably needs a Win 10 driver update - http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/...37/model/28738

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It probably needs a Win 10 driver update - http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/...37/model/28738
    The HP site states that the printer is so old it is no longer supported and I could not find a driver on another site, however, it is now working - there were two printer icons, the second with a (1) after the title, I changed the default to that one and it worked so it presumably found the driver I used with Windows 7. What I would like to do is find that driver on the C drive and copy it for future use, but I do not know where to look. I used the link you gave but got the message "We were unable to find any drivers for your product"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    The HP site states that the printer is so old it is no longer supported and I could not find a driver on another site, however, it is now working - there were two printer icons, the second with a (1) after the title, I changed the default to that one and it worked so it presumably found the driver I used with Windows 7. What I would like to do is find that driver on the C drive and copy it for future use, but I do not know where to look. I used the link you gave but got the message "We were unable to find any drivers for your product"
    I've installed a few old printers on Win10 that did not have drivers available from the manufacturer [latest is a Dell Laserjet long discontinued] but Windows Update had them available when run after connecting the printer. It's no guarantee but printers are cheap with the downside being that there's not as many simple printers available, have been replaced by the multi-function devices.

The drivers may be in C:\Windows\System32 but may be difficult to identify.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-03-30 at 12:47.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I have that in Win 7 and had to do something similar when it wouldn't print - the (1) is the network side of things.

I noticed your printer wasn't among the list of Win 10 compatibles - perhaps MS has "kindly" installed a compatible driver for you but did you have the printer plugged in when you ran the Win 10 compatibility test before upgrading ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-04)