5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking Microsoft updates and other things

FIELD NOTES

Tracking Microsoft updates and other things

By Tracey Capen

Microsoft returns to separate release dates for security and nonsecurity updates and gets it wrong. Plus: Just because you've been using PCs for years doesn't mean you won't have those "D'oh" moments.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/tracking-microsoft-updates-and-other-things/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-03-30 at 17:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip regarding using a Garmin GPS and Delorme's Topo product. Do you know what Garmin products provide the Tracking and waypoint files files with the USB connection. I much prefer the Delorme software but the PN 40 is a piece of junk and I'm not sure if they even offer the PN 60 anymore. Thanks for your great insights. Don Piller

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought it might be worthwhile to point out that the "Uninstall Updates" feature will not always work. Recently our Surface Pro 3 has developed a corrupt Type Cover driver (I think). After trying to fix with SFC and Chkdsk (no luck) I checked the update history just in case. The machine had received an update on 3/27, however when I tried to uninstall it, no such option was available. Checking other updates, some were able to be uninstalled but others weren't.

Thanks
    If you want to play with mapping, here is a website that gives you a lot of choices and functionality to work with. It may prove difficult to figure out how to use this but the author was helpful to me.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Here is a hike I did some time back using Garmin imported data:

Sweeney Ridge, Baquiano/Mori loop
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...03552.kml&t=t4