Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two important changes at Windows Secrets

INTRODUCTION

Two important changes at Windows Secrets

By Tracey Capen

Full-text articles return to the newsletter, and a sad departure of our favorite (and only) assistant editor.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/introduction/two-important-changes-at-windows-secrets/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-03-30 at 15:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your changes are a big improvement over the past couple months. The full story email version works great for me, now. Many thanks for bringing it back!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tnoaries For This Useful Post:

vistalady (2016-03-31)

Thanks

A Significant Improvement!

I received an e-mail version of te Windows Secrets News Letter Issue 534 today. I compared it to the "full online version" and found that the e-mail version had about 98% of the content. (Some of "Plan ahead if you want to change your ISP" was missing). A vast improvement, many thanks!

(And I echo "best wishes" to Kathleen Atkins in her future ventures. Thanks for all you have done to educate/enlighten me over the years!)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-03-31 at 06:55. Reason: Corrected typos
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

vistalady (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had already canceled my windows secret account because of the change. I may renew it now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well in a few days/weeks Windows Secrets will come out of my bookmarks and emails. I have been a follower for years (Fred Langa) but because of the changes in the prices of the service I will be leaving. I have always enjoyed the product but honestly I simply don't used the tech advice except to do an occasional search in the archives. I also have noticed their quest to broaden to the professional IT field instead of the more common Windows user. So I wish the best to all of the editors and owners but your pricing brackets will be your demise. In the 'buy what you use' days it was worth a baseline support cost; Today it is not. Best of luck!
    Bill AKA Bigchunk

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I definitely prefer the new full content email format. I found I was not reading the on-line content; I just "couldn't get around to it". Please keep the approach that sends all the content in the email.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to diverron For This Useful Post:

vistalady (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchunk View Post
    Well in a few days/weeks Windows Secrets will come out of my bookmarks and emails. I have been a follower for years (Fred Langa) but because of the changes in the prices of the service I will be leaving. I have always enjoyed the product but honestly I simply don't used the tech advice except to do an occasional search in the archives. I also have noticed their quest to broaden to the professional IT field instead of the more common Windows user. So I wish the best to all of the editors and owners but your pricing brackets will be your demise. In the 'buy what you use' days it was worth a baseline support cost; Today it is not. Best of luck!
    Bill AKA Bigchunk
    I totally agree! I had just written that I would renew the subscription which I was cancelling in view of the decision to reinstate the old format newsletter. However, I just realized that the price structure had been changed and there is no way I will pay that kind of money for this newsletter. There are so many free newsletters available and computer news all over the web.

I also agree that many of the articles now seem to be directed at IT professionals instead of advanced users like me.

Count me out.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks and best wishes to Kathleen Atkins for all her work here !

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

Kathleen Atkins (2016-03-31),vistalady (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With Kathleen's departure, is Lounge Life finished?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john23 View Post
    Not while I'm here - and many others, of course.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john23 View Post
    Tracey Capen says not necessarily. He'll do the column as he has time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    Tracey Capen says not necessarily. He'll do the column as he has time.
    That's good to know. Good luck and know you will be missed.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john23 For This Useful Post:

Kathleen Atkins (2016-03-31),Trev (2016-03-31),vistalady (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Praise for change

Sending this because I can't find any Forum thread regarding the latest development in Windows Secrets with the resurrection of a complete emailed newsletter. It is a wonderful change and I am so happy to see it in my inbox again. Thank you very much! You deserve a pat on the back for listening and reacting to your readers' suggestions.

I had begun losing interest in Windows Secrets after the change to a web-only-based format. Once again, it is more convenient and seems more immediate and personal. Thank you!

I also want to add a warm good-bye and "great work!" cheer for Kathleen Atkins. It's sad to see her leave.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2016-03-31 at 16:42. Reason: moved from Contact Us

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vistalady For This Useful Post:

Kathleen Atkins (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diverron View Post
    I definitely prefer the new full content email format. I found I was not reading the on-line content; I just "couldn't get around to it". Please keep the approach that sends all the content in the email.
    I agree and appreciate that readers' suggestions were heeded and motivated WS to make this change. As others have noted, I will have to think seriously about renewing my long-held subscription to WS due to the hefty price change. I respect the writers. Their opinions and ideas are the basis for many of my computing decisions.

Thanks
    "Two important changes at Windows Secrets" -- surely this could have been a free article. It doesn't give us any technical info, only info about Windows Secrets.

Good luck, Kathleen. I always appreciated your professionalism.

I, for one, hope you will stay a member of Windows Secrets Forums.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-04-01 at 08:52.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

kathleea (2016-04-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast