2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running balance (Excel 97 SR 2)

I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet in Excel to function like a regular ledger account. Can anyone advise me on how to create formulas that will keep a running balance, that is where 1) an entry in the B column will increase and an entry in the C column will decrease a running balance in the D column (for "debit" accounts), and 2) conversely, an entry in the B column will decrease and an entry in the C column will increase a running balance in the D column (for "credit" accounts); in both situations the balance would be hidden until an entry is made in B or C. (The A column would be reserved for descriptions of the transactions.)
    I would also like to set up another sheet to function as a general journal, where an entry in the A column would link to another sheet, and entries in the B or C column would simultaneously appear in the same columns in that other sheet.
    Clark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Running balance (Excel 97 SR 2)

See if <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=xl&Number=105380&Search =true&Forum=xl&Words=running&Match=And&Searchpage= 0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=105380>This Thread</A> will help.
    Legare Coleman