New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost password, orig Win8, now Win10, no keys known

I'm moderately technically competent helping a friend of my wife's. I've worked with microcomputers from before CP/M. This friend barely knows how to turn a pc off and on. Given that ...

Her notebook is an Asus X200CA, and was delivered with either 8.0 or 8.1 (does it matter?). Several(?) months ago, it upgraded to Win10. I'm ASSUMING the Home version. The owner forgot her password ... thinks the computer changed it on its own; she had it written down and it quit working ... but the situation is the same. There is no data she needs to keep. Let's put her knowledge in perspective; before she brought it to me, I asked what version of Windows; answer was that she's had if for 2 or 3 years, and thought it was Windows 5.

I've succeeded in getting it to boot from USB (a Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft), no small task in itself, and the suggestions in http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-...in-windows-10/ are "unclear" ... the move and copy of utilman.exe don't find the file.

I don't mind reinstalling, but have no records of a key. This has to be a relatively common problem today.

What are the steps I should take to give her back a working (legally licensed) computer?

Thanks, George

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Was she using a Microsoft account or a local account?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    She said no MS acct, but the notes had a MS acct password. Who knows? The login screen has a (her name)@gmail.com showing above where the password is entered.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If it is a Microsoft account, the password can be recovered, since it is kept by Microsoft.

Try resetting the password: https://account.live.com/password/reset
    Or recovering the account: https://account.live.com/acsr

The use of an email address suggests a Microsoft account was used, indeed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close the loop, THANKS. The MS lost password worked. It turns out she is running Win8 so I posted in the wrong spot. I asked my wife if I should do the Win10 upgrade while I have it ... she said NO!!!, any technology is hard enough on her friend, don't change anything. Knowing her artistic friend, I understand.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it worked .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    I asked my wife if I should do the Win10 upgrade while I have it ... she said NO!!!, any technology is hard enough on her friend, don't change anything. Knowing her artistic friend, I understand.
    In that case you might want to install one of the Win10 Upgrade blockers on her machine "while you have it". I've had good luck with GWX Control Panel. Of course, YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "It turns out she is running Win8" I would recommend upgrading to 8.1.
    --- If I remember correctly Windows 8 doesn't receive security updates anymore
    --- At the same time, get the product key
    --- Create a system image backup with a 3rd party program
    RG's recommendation for GWX Control Panel is excellent but you will probably have to help her keep it up to date since it isn't a set-up & forget-it system
    --- Like any software install, she'll need to know that