Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Pro 64 genuine but needs activation please help urgent!

Recently had the "Windows not genuine" issue. Microsoft's validation tool recognises it is genuine software but control panel says I have 14 days to activate. Have tried various fixes found on internet but none work. Please help, running out of time. Lenovo Thinkpad E550, Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
    Phoned Lenovo who's only solution is to do a complete restore from the original backup media! Do not get the option to auto reactivate via Microsoft in the Activation window, only Buy A New Key, Enter New Key, Contact Lenovo!! obtained the serial number from my machine using one of Nirsofts tools but the activation window will not accept it. Believe the issue was a Microsoft Update which I cannot repair. If I do a full restore back to delivery time then surely Microsofts Updates when all reimported will cause the issue again. Really grateful if anybody has had and cured this or for any suggestions. THANK YOU.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Make an image backup to an external disk, then perform a factory re-install. Check that the license is valid and use the utility to collect the key.
    If the license is still not valid, ring Lenovo / Microsoft.
    Once you have it behaving, restore the image and check the key used.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply Paul T. I'll try that. May be a few hours but I'll put an update in due course.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rebuilding the Licensing store may save you a lot of work if it's successful.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter -

net stop sppsvc
    (wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

Edit - I forgot to add these bits before the reboot -

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case.

shutdown /r /t 00

Then see if you still get the not genuine message after the reboot.

\Roaming is one word - it's just the way a path displays in the forum.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-03-31 at 04:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, tried that. Activation window wanted either Buy a new key, Enter a new key, or Phone Lenovo (!!!!!!).
    Didn't work I'm afraid. Microsoft website recognises it as Genuine Software, but still needs activating according to system properties entry. Will have to try Paul T's method now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While you haven't said you get this activation error, see if running this MS Fix it does anything for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

When you go Start and type activate windows and press enter, what does it say ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It says that the key I typed is not valid (even though I didn't type a key and even though Microsoft validation says its genuine software. Gives the option to buy new, enter new or phone Lenovo. Same as I put in original post.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thought I'd go fishing to see if any other Lenovo users had experienced this and they had to the extent that Lenovo has produced this article -

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht003881

Perhaps it will resolve...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, but thanks!, doesn't get any further than anything else. Looks a reinstall needed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ah well

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Current status:- Imaged the "faulty" installation (Aomei Backupper), then used my lenovo recovery disk set to put the machine back to it's factory state (thinking that meant how it was when I bought it direct from lenovo). Big mistake. Machine then booted into windows but absolutely nothing worked. Device drivers were not installed and could not even be found by driver search through Device Manager. Spent ages on phone with Lenovo who suggested connecting machine by ethernet so that they could remote access - machine couldn't even find the connection despite indicator light showing connection was live. Lenovo's only suggestion was to order new recovery disc set from them (from France) which will now take 5 days to get to me. So then I thought re-load the image of the faulty installation, at least the machine worked then. Four hours later, the image was supposedly restored successfully BUT the machine now does not even get to Windows. Thanks to both for your suggestions so far. Think I'm screwed. Incidentally not one of my 6 Acronis images from different dates was useable (despite being validated at time of creation) simply because after the first reboot in their process there is no usb support.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishstalker
    Current status:- Imaged the "faulty" installation (Aomei Backupper), then used my lenovo recovery disk set to put the machine back to it's factory state (thinking that meant how it was when I bought it direct from lenovo). Big mistake. Machine then booted into windows but absolutely nothing worked. Device drivers were not installed and could not even be found by driver search through Device Manager.
    If you used a Lenovo Recovery disk set to install Windows then surely you can just download and install the missing drivers from the Lenovo UK website?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you use the Lenovo recovery disk again to factory reset then download/save the network drivers onto a DVD to copy across and install ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your input. Couldn't download anything as none of the hardware was recognised.
    Eventually got to a point where nothing would load at all. Found a generic win 7 repair disc which after three attempts fixed start-up issues (MBR corrupted??). Now have a working machine that has nothing but the OS on it. Having to reload all programs. Will in due course have to investigate why none of my regular Acronis disc images would restore even though they were all validated at time of creation. Thanks again for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's possible that the drivers for the external HDDs need to be reinstalled.

Have you tried plugging them in normal mode to see if they are recognised or if their drivers start auto installing ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast