Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 not patched

My windows 10 -10586.29 - AMD 64 bit processor 8 gigs ram, 135 gigs free space on c drive - shows no updates available when I tell it to check for updates, and no updates installed. Does this mean I have never received patches that are issued? Is there any way to force all patches since the automatic patches are not installed?
    Could it be that patches are not listed?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I have check the drive for errors and windows problems using sfc.

Thanks
    Bob Cataldo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you on a metered connection?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you on a metered connection?

Joe
    No. I have a 19 mbps right now - just tested a little slow. No limits on data or speed.Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to recall reading that, by default, Win10 no longer keeps an update list. So you may have had updates done but are unaware of it.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Even if it were true that Windows did not keep an update list, which I've never seen, the version number would change when any of the cumulative updates were installed.

I've seen reports of the odd system which does not get updates. You could use the Media Creation Tool to get the latest released version and use to update to the latest.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I go into Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > View your update history, I get a list of 11 installed updates.
    --- The latest being Update for Windows 10 version 1511 (KB3140741)
    Also View installed updates in Control Panel gives me a list but reports only 7 of them
    --- I just reviewed the differences
    --- Windows updates list includes Adobe Flash Player & Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool but Control Panel doesn't

10586.29 is mentioned in this thread

That's quite a difference: I hope I'm on the latest version.
    --- What is the significance of the 10586.29?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    When I go into Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > View your update history, I get a list of 11 installed updates.
    --- The latest being Update for Windows 10 version 1511 (KB3140741)
    Also View installed updates in Control Panel gives me a list but reports only 7 of them
    --- I just reviewed the differences
    --- Windows updates list includes Adobe Flash Player & Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool but Control Panel doesn't

10586.29 is mentioned in this thread

That's quite a difference: I hope I'm on the latest version.
    --- What is the significance of the 10586.29?
    When I look at Windows 10 - through settings, my Windows 10 shows no update history. There are no KBXXXXXXX updates/patches listed.
    I got my current version by downloading the December DVD and "reinstalled" windows 10. It just updated the version but did not delete my applications! I have many work applications installed on my comp0uter - I manage 2 web site and publish several newsletters each month. It would be a pain to erase Windows 10 an install a fresh copy and all my applications - Web Essentials, Vista Buttons, Wow Slider, Office, etc..
    My version is 1511 OS Build 10586.29
    Bob

Thanks
    Mine is up to date as far as I know because I get updates as they come out and there is a list in WU. Currently my build is 10586.164.
    I wonder if build 10586.29 is an "Insider" build by any chance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Build 10586.29 is an old Insider Build.

Bob, it appears your are running a preview build. They often do not get patches as they are replaced rather frequently. Are you intentionally running a Windows Insider build?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Version 1511 OS Build 10586.164.
    Is this an insider build and why I have only a few Windows Updates?

I signed up for the insider program back in Sep but I didn't take part in it.
    I finally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro this Feb using the Media Creation Tool

Thanks
    I have Version 1511 OS Build 10586.164.
    Is this an insider build and why I have only a few Windows Updates?

I signed up for the insider program back in Sep but I didn't take part in it.
    I finally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro this Feb using the Media Creation Tool
    No that's not an insider build. After one of the last updates all my old WU'S were gone and the new one's started recording. I believe it was when it updated to 10586.122. Just before it updated to 10586.164

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-01)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My latest Insider version is 1511 Build 14295.1000. I have separate computers for Win10, same version as above for the released/free Upgrade plus one for the Insider version.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-03-31 at 23:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “Build 10586.29 is an old Insider Build. Bob, it appears your are running a preview build. They often do not get patches as they are replaced rather frequently.”
    After reviewing what’s going on, it appears to me Joe’s response in post 9 is a pretty good summary.

Does your computer run ok?
    Have you tried Control Panel’s to see if it provides a list in View Installed updates?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    “Build 10586.29 is an old Insider Build. Bob, it appears your are running a preview build. They often do not get patches as they are replaced rather frequently.”
    After reviewing what’s going on, it appears to me Joe’s response in post 9 is a pretty good summary.

Does your computer run ok?
    Have you tried Control Panel’s to see if it provides a list in View Installed updates?
    The computer runs fine. I was in the insiders build in 2014 & 1st half of 2015. I THOUGHT I had updated it in December using the media creation tool. I will try that update later today and see if it works.
    Thanks for the pointers in the right direction ( I hope ).
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Even if it were true that Windows did not keep an update list, which I've never seen, the version number would change when any of the cumulative updates were installed.
    Not sure why that got stuck in my head. Something I saw in the past month, perhaps pertaining to a version upgrade? So many things have changed in Win10 that's it's tough to keep up.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast