2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LibreOffice risk or problem

A recent post caused me to wonder again why I was advised to uninstall LibreOffice several years ago. I remember reading an reliable article giving a negative effect of using LibreOffice as opposed to OpenOffice. I can't remember what the reason was, but it was a sufficient warning for me to uninstall the program. Was there some threat, side effect or vulnerability at that time that would have made me do so? A friend recently installed it and I've been wracking my brain to remember why I was wary of the program. Can anyone help my slow brain? Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using LibreOffice for a number of years, haven't seen any issues yet. OpenOffice has changed hands, now part of The Apache Software Foundation.
    http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
    OpenOffice has its roots in the old Sun Micro StarOffice program. LibreOffice is quite similar to OpenOffice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

judson (2016-03-31)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sounds like the old FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) marketing ploy to me.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

judson (2016-03-31)

Thanks
    Compressed history - Sun's Star Office was bought by Oracle and re-named OpenOffice. Many developers were apparently unhappy with Oracle's acquisition and left, creating a fork of OpenOffice called LibreOffice. You may have been advised to choose OpenOffice over LibreOffice around this period as it took a while for LibreOffice to settle down and sort itself out.

Oracle eventually stopped development of OpenOffice and gave OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation.

More recently, development of OpenOffice by Apache has apparently slowed in the last 12-18 months.

Have a look at this Should I switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice or Microsoft Office? article for more info, particularly the situation re: licensing. IMO you will probably be better off with LibreOffice, where development continues.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-31 at 12:09.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

judson (2016-03-31)

Thanks
    I've been using both for some time now; no problem that I can remember.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

judson (2016-03-31)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Berton, Retired, Rick and Roland, for your input. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have uninstalled it simply because of the conflict with OpenOffice. It would have been something more substantial in my mind, maybe phoning home user information or something to do with Linux vs. Windows. Just not sure, but the whole thing has probably been corrected by this time. Thanks so much for the replies. judson

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome. I like LibreOffice as it is usable on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Also, it still has support for the old Microsoft Works files along with a bunch of other formats.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, that's the biggest plus for LibreOffice, as many of us still have those old Works files laying around. Love that. judson