New Lounger
    Thanks

Help to get MPG videos playing in Windows 10

Hello. My son and I have recently upgraded our 2-year old Dell 660 Inspiron from Win 7 Pro by doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro to a brand new HDD. As we have been testing out different apps and things to ensure everything is working, we've discovered that AVI files and MOV files will play just fine on either Windows Media Player or the "Movies and TV" app that came with Win 10. However, MPG files will not play - in WMP we just get the audio, and in "Movies and TV" it throws an error.

I've updated the latest drivers from Dell specifically for Win 10, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. As a further point of reference, his laptop, with Win 10 Pro installed, plays these exact same files just fine.

Other than email, my main use for the PC is video editing and if I can't get MPGs to play, I'll probably have to go back to Win 7...which would not be fun.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

Thanks,
    Travis

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IIRC Microsoft dropped the MPEG-2 decoder in Windows, though that was quite a while ago already. Windows 8 or 7 I believe. Most people who play MPEG-2 videos in these versions of Windows are using 3rd party software that contains their own video decoders. Cyberlink, VLC, WinDVD, the list of available players is nearly endless.

For a decent and free player, with the required decoder, VLC is a decent place to start.

VLC Media Player

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    IIRC Microsoft dropped the MPEG-2 decoder in Windows, though that was quite a while ago already. Windows 8 or 7 I believe. Most people who play MPEG-2 videos in these versions of Windows are using 3rd party software that contains their own video decoders. Cyberlink, VLC, WinDVD, the list of available players is nearly endless.

For a decent and free player, with the required decoder, VLC is a decent place to start.

VLC Media Player
    You know, I think that explains what I'm seeing. I can play MP4 files, but not MPG files. That might just be the issue, although it doesn't explain why my son can play them. But I'm going to give VLC a try...have seen many other threads which suggest the same thing. Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps your son's laptop has a different video player installed than your computer does
    or maybe he has installed special codecs files for playing MPEG files?
    If you find that VLC media player is not your cup of tea, then you might want to download appropriate codecs.

RockE

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    K-Lite codec packs have proven popular http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm