New Lounger
    Thanks

File History back-ups take more space than originals - and what's with S0F folders?

Hi folks,

I've been using Windows 10's File History to back up three large folders to a spare 1TB disk on a utility laptop on my home network. Both machines are on Win 10. I keep getting "running out of space" messages on the target laptop and "File History disk disconnected for too long" messages on the source machine, and, yes, the target laptop does indeed now show the target drive to be full. I'm trying to size a suitable new drive (I know, just buy the biggest you can) but what puzzles me is that the three folders in my "back-up these folders" list total 400.23GB, yet Windows Back-up tells me that the size of my back-up is 1.13TB. What's going on?

One other odd factor is that the target drive now has a 118GB folder labeled $0F, which I understand is where Windows stores back-up files whose names are too long (for what, I don't know). Some of its folders contain a series of .mp3 files which total 1GB on the source machine but take up 19GB in this target folder, although I've never played any of them so they've never changed since being loaded on the source.

Does Windows Back-Up normally inflate file sizes this much?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Best regards

Jon

Thanks
    I'm not familiar specifically with Windows 10 File History, but I am familiar with that sort of program, as well as with doing backups.

Perhaps File History is keeping a lot of versions of everything it backs up. It is always a problem to decide how many versions back you want to keep. The more you keep, the more complete your backups are; but on the downside, the more you keep, the more space it takes on your backup drive.

Also, how much are you backing up? Are you backing up all of the contents of your libraries? Multiple copies of all of your libraries will fill up a drive fast.

You could tell File History to keep saved versions "until space is needed". This will clear out the oldest backups to make room for new data, whenever your backup drive doesn't have enough space.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt feedback, Jim. I'm backing up my documents, my music and photographs, which (per File Explorer) total 400GB, yet Windows File History Back-up tells me that this back-up set totals 1.16TB. I don't understand this. I also don't understand why it's taking 19GB to back up one copy of a 1GB folder (putting them in a "file name too long" $0F folder); as I mentioned, I haven't touched this folder since it was created, so Back-Up has no reason to have created new versions of it, which it's supposed to do only when something changes.

Am I trying to back up too much? I already have it all on CrashPlan in the cloud; I'm just trying to set up a physical back-up at home as well.

Jon

Thanks
    I too had this problem when I started using FH on Win 8. I fixed it by switching off public folder sharing in network and sharing centre, and have not had the problem since. However in this thread it appears the problem is still with us. There is one post on the thread which talks about network drives and having them with a drive letter and using that, but I can't comment about that.

FH is an excellent idea but only if you can get it to work.

I don't think you need to worry about the $0F folder - there is not any agreement about it being for files with long names, but I have it and don't have any issues. I wish I could be more specific!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    Years ago I used a program called Memeo. The way Memeo worked was, you would specify certain folders on your hard drive (or, the entire hard drive); it would make an initial backup of those folders; it would then monitor those folders for changes; if any changes occurred with any of the files in those folders, or if a new file was copied into one of them, it would immediately make a backup. It would keep up to five versions back. The best part was, you could copy files directly out of the archive, without having to run Memeo to do it.

The product is now called Memeo Premium Backup. It worked like a champ a few years ago; I assume it is still a good program, although I haven't used it in a while.

If you go with Memeo, and you keep 2 or 3 versions back (not 5), I don't believe you'll have the space problem you are having with File History.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks! That thread was very helpful in confirming the extent and nature of the problem, and its current unresolved status. I appreciate the tip about switching off public folder sharing, but as I do find that useful I think I'll just reconfigure CrashPlan to generate a local back-up as well as a cloud one, and drop FH altogether. Thanks for the help!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jim. I've tried other backup applications in the past, but having read good things about FH I thought I'd try that. At this stage I think I'll just configure CrashPlan to generate a local copy as well as a cloud one and drop FH altogether. Thanks for the help!