Thanks

One or more network protocols is missing ???

This is an intermittent issue, and not really at "problem" status, but it's curious. My desktop and my NAS are both running Windows 10 Pro. I also have a standalone Seagate NAS that runs Linux.

I use Windows networking, not HomeGroup. I have HomeGroup provider and HomeGroup listener disabled in Services.

On occasion after a sign on or a reboot, my network is not readily available. Opening File Explorer and clicking to expand the network, I get no network. If I click directly on Network, then put \\NAS\Files in the address bar, I'm told it's not there, and I click on the Diagnose button.

As Windows is diagnosing this issue, the network appears. At the end of the diagnostics, the message in the OP title may appear, but the network is already up and available. On more rare occasions, I'm told that some registry entries are missing. Sometimes it's still not there until I click on Network again, and Diagnose again, and after the second round the network shows up, but those are even more rare than the issue at hand.

At other times, the network diagnostics doesn't get to the error message, the network appears during the diagnostics and the troubleshooter just doesn't find anything wrong.

After this initial round of confusion, the network works fine for the rest of the time I'm signed on. And again, it doesn't happen every time, just on occasion. At first I thought it was just a timing issue, Windows getting everything up and running after signing on, so I did some trials where I waited an hour or more before I checked on the network using File Explorer. Most times it's there, but sometimes I go through the above routine before it's "there" there.

I've never failed to get the network up and available, but sometimes I have to play this little game with Windows, and I can find nothing actually wrong or missing.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be a driver problem but a useful couple of elevated commands that can resolve some connectivity problems are -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

then reboot.

Sometimes it can be a DNS issue so going Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter then right click on whichever adapter you are using and select Properties.

Click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties - check the lower radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 8.8.8.8 into the upper row of boxes then 8.8.4.4 into the lower row.

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will invoke the trouble shooter which should return no problems found.

To quickly revert to the auto DNS, just check the upper of those two radio buttons.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

It may also be worth checking to see if Event Viewer has anything network related errors for when you boot up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    bbearen,

When I initially start my machine I ALWAYS get the "Not all network drives connected" slide out (W10Pro). It is referring to my WD MyBookLive NAS. If I just wait a little while it always shows up I think it's just Windows taking it's time to get things set up. BTW: I have my network configured like yours with the HG settings disabled. The WD is always powered up but it does go into sleep mode which may account for the delayed startup. YMMV.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    bbearren,

FWIW I just had a problem trying to access one of my laptops with FreeFileSync (and while testing w/file explorer). I got the same missing protocol trash. However, I continued to test and had no problem linking to my other two laptops. Stranger yet the laptop in question is dual boot Win 10 Home (problem child) and Win 7 HP. The Win 7 HP side didn't have the problem. So by process of elimination it is the W10 Home machine problem.

Remember I'm getting the problem messages on my Desktop (Win 10 Pro) not on the laptop! So I tried Sudo's commands on the Laptop w/Win 10 Home and problem fixed. So it was the target machine with the problem not the host which was displaying the messages like it was the one with the problem.

Once again a case of "it ain't always what it seems"

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It could be a driver problem but a useful couple of elevated commands that can resolve some connectivity problems are -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

then reboot.

Sometimes it can be a DNS issue so going Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter then right click on whichever adapter you are using and select Properties.

Click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties - check the lower radio button for Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 8.8.8.8 into the upper row of boxes then 8.8.4.4 into the lower row.

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will invoke the trouble shooter which should return no problems found.

To quickly revert to the auto DNS, just check the upper of those two radio buttons.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

It may also be worth checking to see if Event Viewer has anything network related errors for when you boot up.
    I've run this in a Cmd file a number of times when this issue comes up, but it doesn't make any difference:

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    pause
    shutdown /r

Nothing in the event log jumps out, either.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    bbearren,

FWIW I just had a problem trying to access one of my laptops with FreeFileSync (and while testing w/file explorer). I got the same missing protocol trash. However, I continued to test and had no problem linking to my other two laptops. Stranger yet the laptop in question is dual boot Win 10 Home (problem child) and Win 7 HP. The Win 7 HP side didn't have the problem. So by process of elimination it is the W10 Home machine problem.

Remember I'm getting the problem messages on my Desktop (Win 10 Pro) not on the laptop! So I tried Sudo's commands on the Laptop w/Win 10 Home and problem fixed. So it was the target machine with the problem not the host which was displaying the messages like it was the one with the problem.

Once again a case of "it ain't always what it seems"

HTH
    That's the rub, though. Everything comes up clean and runs as it should after the troubleshooter runs—and can't fix it!. My Windows 10 NAS never has the issue; the network has never failed to populate from there. The network populates on my laptop, as well. It only seems to come from my desktop, and then it only happens occasionally; nothing consistent about it. It works as it should more often than not.

As I said, it's an issue, not a real problem. Windows networking throws a false negative. I just keep picking at it.

I just finished resurrecting my Netgear WNDR4000 N750 Dual-band WiFi router to plug into my network. I had run out of LAN sockets. Everything I read (except for one guy) said that the two routers had to be connected LAN to LAN, that the WAN port couldn't be used on the slave. Naturally, I went with the one guy, and used the WAN on the slave. It took me a few tries, but through all the false starts it took to get it working, my network didn't disappear.

Go figure

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I may have finally stumbled onto part of this intermittent networking thing.

After a power failure today, my desktop came up okay, and the NAS came up OK, but the NAS once again had no internet. I did my usual stuff-and-things, but still no internet. I finally looked at the configuration of the NIC on the NAS, and "Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing" was disabled. I enabled that, then OK'd out, then Network and Sharing center queried the NIC, and I had internet connectivity.

I then checked the configuration on my desktop NIC, and it has Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing enabled, which might explain why the desktop had internet connectivity after the power failure but the NAS didn't.

I'll keep monitoring this to see if it stays "fixed".

Unleash Windows