Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to make Bootable USB Drive OR How to recover Admin Password

I have forgotten the password to my Admin account! I normally use a User-level account but now I want to try to use Restore to recover a toolbar that has disappeared. So, I have to use the Admin account.

I have downloaded a program (isunshare) that is supposed to be able to get me into the Admin account. I need to put it on a bootable USB stick. I tried to do that but it is not booting even though I am getting to the Boot Menu OK. So, it must not be a bootable USB stick.

So, I either need to know another way to get into my Admin account or how to make my USB stick bootable.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    I hope you will begin to keep a paper and pen log of your usernames and passwords in a locked drawer from now on. No discussion board can help you "crack" your admin acct because we do not know if the computer is really yours, or, the computer in question belongs to a company, and so on; so --
    -- you will have to take your computer, along with proof of ownership for computer and Windows, to a local computer store and let them help you.
    Let's assume, in the computer store, you have proof of ownership for both computer & Windows:
    The shop might be able to:
    -- use Rufus or something similar to create a USB or DVD boot, and go from there.
    -- use Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2 to Enable the built-in admin acct
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The only program to use to fix a forgotten password is the Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
    It is free and it works - has done since the days of NT.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-04),Fascist Nation (2016-05-14)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I hope you will begin to keep a paper and pen log of your usernames and passwords in a locked drawer from now on.
    To add to that, one frequently needs to know and actually enter the Old password before one can enter a New password or delete the Old password, otherwise anyone could change any password and really screw things up. For my work I purchased a diagnostic/utility program [not cheap] that does a lot of things and deleting a password is one of them but it never tells what the password is, just "cleans the slate".

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The only program to use to fix a forgotten password is the Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

cheers, Paul
    I agree with Paul. All other methods take too long (unless your memory suddenly returns).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland, thanks for your comments. I do have a good record of all the other passwords on both my wife's and my laptops but somehow I overlooked the one for the Admin account on mine! I just got my laptop a few months ago and I can remember thinking I should change it to something more secure but then I forgot to follow up.

Bill

Thanks
    BillW, yeah, several times I have not updated my own list! Then later - gotcha by th' nose!
    Berton, what is this "diagnostic/utility program [not cheap]"? I'm very interested!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Berton, what is this "diagnostic/utility program [not cheap]"? I'm very interested!
    The version I have is called MicroScope, cost me about $700.00, it's a bit long in the tooth. The name was changed to Micro 2000, just tried to access their site at http://micro2000.com/index.php but seems they have a problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps they have lost their password?????

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EJB986 For This Useful Post:

RockE (2016-05-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EJB986 View Post
    Perhaps they have lost their password??
    I think the web site may be daid. Perhaps the high price killed the sales?

Thanks
    Just as a Standard Operating Proceedure (SOP) I never put a password on ANY of my 20 PC's.
    You don't have to actually forget your password....all that's required is that something happen to the SAM file, that holds the password.
    If that happens, you're locked out and that's IT!

Recently a friend in Ca. emailed me, asking me how to recover or delete his password to his PC, because he had forgotten it.
    I had an old "Password Removal Tool" that worked for me for years, and he also has a copy of that, but said it wouldn't work on his PC.
    So I went looking on the internet,for a password removal tool, which anyone can easily do.... and I found one that looked promising.
    As with many programs, the download was FREE, and it created a bootable CD with no problem, but when I actually ran the program,
    it told me that the TRIAL version will not remove a password, only the Paid (full Retail) version will do that.

I really liked the simplicity of the program and the friendly User Interface, so I ponied up the $20 for the program and subsequently
    downloaded an ISO for a bootable CD. I burned the ISO to a blank CD with ImgBurn and the resultant CD booted up my PC and removed a password that I had just set for the experiment. (that was on Windows 10, Pro, 64bit)

I shared the link to that program with my friend and he burned his own CD and was able then to delete his old password.
    Knowing that I had a Password Removal Tool that actually worked, even on Windows 10, I made several CD copies for my own use.

Forum rules dictate that I do not share that program's link here. But it's definitely out there, for those willing to search for it.
    And, as Great Utility programs go, I think $20 was a more than reasonable price. I've spent a lot more than that for good Utilities in the past.
    No computer tech should be without such a useful tool.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-04-05)

Thanks
    In reply to "How to make a bootable USB Drive".......

There is a program from HP, that will format a Flash Drive and make it bootable.
    Sorry, you'll have to Google that one too. I've used it many times and it works great.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Rufus is my favourite USB boot disk creator.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    cheers, Paul
    I have finally gotten back to this problem and I've bought an external CD/DVD drive. I've decided to use the approach you suggested above so I downloaded the latest version of that stuff. When I double-clicked the .iso file inside that zip file a program in Win8.1 offered to burn it on my CD so I agreed. So, far I haven't been able to get the system to boot from that drive so I have a question:

When Win8.1 offers to burn that .iso file into my CD does that make the CD bootable or do I have to do something more to make it bootable? I realize that there may be other changes that need to be made such as in the UEFI and I think I have done that but I may have overlooked something in that area too.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho
    There is a program from HP, that will format a Flash Drive and make it bootable.
    Sorry, you'll have to Google that one too. I've used it many times and it works great.
    HP USB Key Utility, available from HP here (or from techPowerUp here).

There you go, Doc... fixed your post for you. Glad to help...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast