3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

win 10 upgrade partial fail

Last year I successfully updated two of my pcs from Win 7 to Win 10. Last week I tried to update my last (main) pc to Win 10.

The upgrade appeared to go normally, but I found large problems with screen resolution, missing printers (which had been successful in earlier upgrades), etc. Eventually these problems were overcome or disappeared.

EXCEPT that my browsers (Chrome and Edge - I have not found IE after the conversion) do not work. For a while they came up, but did not work properly; by now they do not even come up. Since a need a working browser to download one, I have not even been able to try a re-install. [I know I can get to the web, since Outlook works (except, obviously, clicking on a link in a message does not work since the browser won't start).]

Suggestions?

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should find Internet Explorer 11 here: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    If you right-click iexplore.exe and select "Create shortcut" it should let you create a shortcut on the desktop.

However, even if you get IE to run, I'm guessing you'll eventually need to think about trying to reinstall Windows 10. You didn't mention how you upgraded but I would suggest that you try the Media Creation Tool here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    It is quite possible that this time your problems will seem to resolve themselves.

RockE

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could of course use one of your other PCs to download the Chrome installation file, copy to the misbehaving PC and install from the copied file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    You should find Internet Explorer 11 here: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    If you right-click iexplore.exe and select "Create shortcut" it should let you create a shortcut on the desktop.

However, even if you get IE to run, I'm guessing you'll eventually need to think about trying to reinstall Windows 10. You didn't mention how you upgraded but I would suggest that you try the Media Creation Tool here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    It is quite possible that this time your problems will seem to resolve themselves.

RockE
    If I use this approach (Media Creation Tool), will I lose my ability to revert to Win 7 within a month?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another symptom: After a reboot, I can use the "start" button on the lower-left corner of the screen, but after some relatively short time, I can only right-click this button and be given a few options in a list.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: after running the startup repair utility - which found no fix - the above symptoms disappeared: The start button remains working and I can open the two browsers. I can even download the msn home page and occasionally link to another page. I can sometimes link to another website, but I cannot download a file of any size.

Still, that's a significant improvement. Maybe if I just keep using Win 10 and its software, I will eventually be able to do productive work again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I take the above post back. The symptoms previously reported returned, in a few hours rather than almost immediately.

Ugh.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Sounds as though you should consider a Reset or clean install after backing up your data. A reset is the easiest - Settings | Update & Security | Recovery | Reset this PC | Save my files.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect you are correct. I'm finding more problems, e.g., Win 10 told me that I had to update the calculator. I did, and it worked. The next time I tried to open the calculator, it told me that I had to install a new one again.

I'm concerned that if I do a clean install or a reset, I'll lose the ability to revert to Win 7. Will I?

Does the reset to Win 7 work? If so, I may just give up on Win 10 on my main pc until Win 7 is no longer supported. It's a shame, as I had updated all my major software to Win 10-compatible versions over the past 5 months, in anticipation of the upgrade, which turned out to be a major downgrade. [Recall that I was successful in upgrading two earlier pcs.]

Also, when I looked at the reset path you recommend a day ago, it said that I would have to reinstall lots of my software. That was a surprise.

Comments?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you are within the 30 day window you will lose the ability to revert.

Reverting to Windows 7 works fine for many people. Many others have reported problems. If you try to revert and it fails you likely will have to do a clean install of Win7 or Win10.

Before you reset or revert make a backup of your data files. Make sure you have copies of the installation files for all your important programs.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like I can easily lose everything, no matter what I try. [I have a friend who did lose everything - his computer froze during Win 10 installation and the local experts could not get him back or forward, so he had to wipe the disk and start over - without adequate backups. But I had good experiences with my first two upgrades, so I became overly trusting, I guess, even though I thoroughly prepared this pc (clean-ups, removal of lots of less-ued software, updating programs to Win 10-compatible versions). Although I maintain backups, I do not trust them at all (beyond retrieval of a file or two). If that is what happens, I should start my life over again!]