Thread: Slow boot up

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow boot up

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Previously my boot time was reported as variously between 33 and 40 seconds. With Windows 10, password entry disabled, the start up time is reported by the same pop-up as variously between 105 and 153 seconds – I have an SSD. Is it typical that boot up time for Windows 10 is significantly longer than 7. I only have five programs shown in msconfig, all of them necessary security programs as in Win 7.

Under programs and features from the start button (right click) there is the heading “Turn windows features on/off”. Sixteen items are ticked but I do not know if they need to be ticked or not – could these be the problem – how can I speed up boot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I have upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Previously my boot time was reported as variously between 33 and 40 seconds. With Windows 10, password entry disabled, the start up time is reported by the same pop-up as variously between 105 and 153 seconds – I have an SSD. Is it typical that boot up time for Windows 10 is significantly longer than 7. I only have five programs shown in msconfig, all of them necessary security programs as in Win 7.

Under programs and features from the start button (right click) there is the heading “Turn windows features on/off”. Sixteen items are ticked but I do not know if they need to be ticked or not – could these be the problem – how can I speed up boot.
    How about Right Click on Start Button (or hit windows and X key at the same time) /Task Manager/Start Up and see what programs are enabled on Start Up. Most of mine are Disabled and my SSD starts up real fast.
    Cheers Pete.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have four items, all security, three low impact and one medium.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Startup is supposed to be a bit faster with Win10 than with Win7. You say "reported by the same pop-up". What program is that? It doesn't sound like anything standard, so is it possible that the pop-up program itself may be slowing you down?

It sounds as if there is some driver or service that isn't starting up as it should. Since this is an upgraded computer, I would be looking to see if there are newer drivers available for your hardware. What kind of computer it it, by the way?

Windows 10 has a "faststart" which is something of a hybrid between hibernation and a full reboot. I can't recall at the moment how you set that, but it should be easy to find. I've heard of a few cases where turning this off actually sped things up (I've heard a lot of things actually and don't always believe them but it's an easy thing to test).
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-05)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you have network devices that are not available when you boot the system?
    Have you disabled "fast startup"? See How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-04-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The pop up comes as part of the antivirus program - 360 total security, which shows as "low" impact - the computer, a Zoostorm 4 GB ram and an SSD, is most definitely slower to start up in Win 10. I have followed the instructions in "how to turn on off fast startup in windows 10" and have it enabled, with all four boxes ticked - will try both enabled and disabled to see the difference. I have a scanner which appears as not enabled until I switch it on.