Thread: Menu bar color

Lounger
    Thanks

Menu bar color

Hello:

I read somewhere that the menu bars in Windows 10 were intentionally were left without color. I assume that the complaints about their color in Win 7 and 8 were deafening.

Now, I am one of the very few that can barely see the menu bars, as they blend into their surroundings. Would anyone know how one could give them some color, or at least some rougeon their cheeks?

Thanks,

Hans L

Thanks
    Right-Click on your desktop screen using your mouse; click "personalise", click "colours" . Set "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background" to "Off". Make your choice from the wide range of colours in the palette below!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-04-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Pete, I have already done so. However, it says: Show color on Start, taskbar, action center, and title bar. Not 'menu bar'.

I am pretty sure that in Win 7, the menu bars were always clearly delineated from other bars by color. I cannot remember having to set this per application.

And when I am looking at the "Personalization" screen that you refer to, it is, even with my color set (kinda' bluishly purple), the top bar (<- Settings etc.) is white, and empty bar below it is white, the cogwheel bar is white, and most other things on the page is white. It's like driving in heavy snowfall. It is, actually, indicative of Win 10, I must in all honesty say, that the page where you set your color does not itself implement that color :-(

Regards/Hans L

Thanks
    If you look at "Settings", "Background", you should see a preview of what your window borders will look like with your chosen colour.

Note: On the Settings, Background screen, "Automatically pick a colour from my background" should be set to "Off"; but "Show colour on Start, taskbar, action centre and title bar" should be set to "On". "Make Start, taskbar and Action Centre transparent can be se to "on" or "off" as you choose.

Sadly, the chosen colour does NOT affect the Windows 10 "Settings" menu itself, and it's sub-menus and also Edge. However, windows such as File Explorer and Internet Explorer do adopt the chosen colour. It's not perfect, but better than having everything white, I suppose.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Pete, I've done all you mentioned, and I guess I will have to resort to app per app settings. Thanks, anyway, for trying to help.

Hans L

Thanks
    @Hans L: Sorry I could not be of more assistance. All the best as you continue to "adapt" to Windows 10!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You need to change the theme being used. See this - Replace those white title bars in Windows 10 with this colors theme.

Joe

Thanks
    Interesting. Thanks (but of course, it is an add-on/download and does not come "standard" with Windows 10. Nevertheless, most useful to those who do not like the "bland" appearance of the default setup). I hope Hans L sees your post.

EDIT: Unfortunately, this option is no-longer available. When you click on JoeP517's link, you get this:

"The file you are trying to download is no longer available.

This could be due to the following reasons:

The file has been removed because of a ToS/AUP violation.

Invalid URL - the link you are trying to access does not exist

The file has been deleted by the user."
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-04-09 at 07:37. Reason: Added tes in colour to update the original post.

Thanks
    Try this link: Windows 10: get rid of those white title bars…

Note that the Win10ColorWin.exe download may be flagged by your AV as unsafe. Check post #14 below for more info about why this appears to be a 'false positive'. If you have any remaining concerns, download the Win10ColorWin.zip file instead.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-04-11 at 10:01. Reason: Added more info

Thanks
    I would be cautious deciding to use the link provided by Rick Corbett. Norton Internet Security deems it to be unsafe (see attached clip)Screen Shot 04-10-16 at 11.34 AM.JPG

Thanks
    I would be cautious deciding to use the link provided by Rick Corbett. Norton Internet Security deems it to be unsafe (see attached clip)

Screen Shot 04-10-16 at 11.34 AM.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst
    I would be cautious deciding to use the link provided by Rick Corbett. Norton Internet Security deems it to be unsafe (see attached clip)
    Thank you. It's a good point, well made. The screenshots in both your posts indicate it's not the web page I linked to but one of the downloads, i.e. Win10ColorWin.exe.

I downloaded both available downloads - Win10ColorWin.exe and Win10ColorWin.zip - then checked them with both Avira Free and MBAM Premium. Neither flagged them as problematic.

win10color - exe-avira.png
    Click to enlarge

Following your post I also uploaded both to VirusTotal. Whilst Win10ColorWin.zip shows as clean, Win10ColorWin.exe shows 5 out of 52 warnings:
    win10color - exe.png
    Click to enlarge

Whilst these may be false positives, i.e. most of the warnings appear to be down to flagging by heuristics (looks like rather than definitely is), it's not worth taking the risk.

I've amended my post above to recommend only downloading the ZIP version.

Thanks for posting the Symantec warning.

Thanks
    @Rick Corbett: I agree it is likely we are seeing false positives (why would .zip be OK and .exe not?). Thanks for amplifying my report!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst
    why would .zip be OK and .exe not?
    It's a good question.

My PC shows the 2 files like this:

win10colors.png
    Click to enlarge

Note the differences in file sizes and icons. The icon for the EXE suggests it's a self-extracting compressed file.

Looking at the files' properties shows this:

win10colors1.png
    Click to enlarge

The 2 files appear to have the same 7 files in each (the total length is the same) and the only apparent difference is whatever instructions and comment are included in the self-executable.

As a double-check, I unpacked both files using Universal Extractor. The results showed that the files and folders within the ZIP and EXE files were identical in number, size and version.

win10colors2.png
    Click to enlarge

Finally, I opened the EXE in WinRAR. I checked all the available options for creating self-extracting executables, for running scripts before and after unpacking, etc. and the only SFX option used was to automatically run the setup.exe file contained within the compressed file:

win10colors3.png
    Click to enlarge

So, the only difference between the ZIP and EXE versions is that you have to unzip and run the contained setup.exe file yourself manually from within the ZIP file whilst the EXE version runs this same setup.exe file automatically for you. As a result I believe the VirusTotal scan results by 5 products (2 of which are McAfee and 2 of which I've never heard of before) are false positives and the warning from your own Symantec product was it being extremely cautious.

If you check the URL I posted again you'll see that I've alerted the author to the VirusTotal results. I've also amended my earlier post #9.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-04-12 at 12:31. Reason: Added more info

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

petesmst (2016-04-12)