5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it normal that upgrading to Windows 10 creates a Recovery partition?

Recently upgraded a Win7 Pro 32-bit to Win10 Pro

SCC Win7 Disk Management did not have a Recovery partition
    SCC Win7 Disk Management.PNG

SCC Win10 Disk Management has a Recovery partition
    SCC Win10 Disk Management.PNG

Is it normal that upgrading to Windows 10 creates a Recovery partition?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Joe. How are you ?

I have gleefully deleted that partition on all my C:\s. I use Gparted and get rid of it to "unallocated" space, then do a ritual clone. Chancy ???

I have not seen any bad effect to my procedure, yet ! What use is it ? I presume that as I get rid of it and see no side effect, it is not really required. My neck is out.

All fine wishes. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Joe said, it is normal and is created by Windows.

It is only 450MB, so best left well alone perhaps?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also created a Win10 USB recovery drive and left Backup system files to the recovery drive checked.
    --- If I have to re-install Win10 for whatever reason, does the new Win10 recovery partition and the Win10 USB recovery drive work together to accomplish that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    The recovery partition contains the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) tools.

See BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions and UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions for more information.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-06)

Thanks
    Typically the Recovery Partition created by the upgrade on a hard drive with a single partition (in GPT there is also an EFI partition, but that doesn't count) is where the Windows Recovery Environment (winre.wim) is stored.

If there are multiple partitions on the hard drive during installation/upgrade, winre.wim is stored in a Recovery folder (a faded-looking system folder) on the root of the C: drive, and the Recovery Partition is empty (but Windows creates it, anyway). Windows 7 stored winre.wim in a Recovery folder on the root of C: drive, so an upgrade from Windows 7 will create the Recovery partition and place the Windows 10 winre.wim there.

My setup uses multiple partitions, and I have a Recovery folder on C: with winre.wim inside. Winre.wim is the image that is mounted and used when Windows has failed to boot multiple times and a menu is presented to pursue other options such as Repair, Command Prompt, etc.

Also, if you choose to create a recovery disc or USB from within Windows, winre.wim is included on that recovery disc/USB, so the Recovery Partition becomes somewhat obsolete (as long as the recovery disc doesn't get misplaced or lost).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the size of the USB Recovery Drive on my Win10 home computer
    --- Including Backup system files to the recovery drive: 43 min. 2.53 GB
    --- Without including Backup system files to the recovery drive: 1 min. 290 MB
    So that brings another question to my mind
    --- What is the purpose of creating a Win10 USB Recovery Drive without including Backup system files to the recovery drive?

Administrator
    Thanks
    @cmptrgy,

To enable you to boot into the WinRE environment.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-04-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen on another forum where Win 10 created a 19.53GB Recovery partition - is that what will hold Windows.old until the 30 days are up ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've seen on another forum where Win 10 created a 19.53GB Recovery partition - is that what will hold Windows.old until the 30 days are up ?
    I've only seen Windows.old as a folder on C: drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What would have caused that then ?

EDIT - While I haven't read all of these these links, it would seem that it isn't just Win 10 that creates that partition.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=win+10+upgrade+...very+partition
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-04-06 at 17:46.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I performed my first Windows 10 install, I made a point of deleting that recovery partition (we had a recovery partition in Windows 7 as well).

It didn't work. The Windows 10 installer immediately stepped in and created the recovery partition again, with an appropriate message about doing so. We couldn't proceed with the install without that partition in place.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, good morning.

>>> To enable you to boot into the WinRE environment. <<<

I will now correct my statement. Seeing as I never resorted to this partition on the W-10 C:\, I was able to negate it and get away with this drastic move. Now, as others have indicated, it is important enough to not fool around with it, I take back my statement about deleting it.

The reason why I never resorted to it is that I believe in "clones" and if anything went wrong in my machines, I would clone them back, thus did not need this Win RE.

Enough said ! All fine wishes. Jean.