Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question BitDefender error messages.

For awhile now, I have been getting these error messages from BitDefender every time I boot up my desktop. I don't know what to do with them, so I am wondering how to just get rid of BitDefender as I don't believe I need it, or is it so welded to Windows that I can't do that?

BitDefender1.JPG

Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    The first thing you should do is look at the contents of the .DMP file that the message refers to. In fact, you could post the contents of the file here. Perhaps we will be able to understand when we see the file contents.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The first thing you should do is look at the contents of the .DMP file that the message refers to. In fact, you could post the contents of the file here. Perhaps we will be able to understand when we see the file contents.
    Ok, which app do I use to open the .dmp files? I tried Notepad and WordPad and all they give me is garbage.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows doesn't have a natural facility to read .dmp files and I'm not sure if BlueScreenView would read and analyse that for you, but I would suggest that you contact BD support and see what they have to say about it.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support/contact-us.html

I've found Symantec to very helpful on the odd occasion when I've required help for my Norton but generally, if any program develops a fault, then an uninstall/reinstall usually resolves, but with AV programs you need to use their Uninstallers.

While you haven't said which OS you are using, in All Programs in my Win 7 I can scroll down to the Norton Security folder and in that is a link for its Uninstaller which may be the same for BD.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, thanks for the information. I am running Windows 8.1, if that makes any difference.

I will send the file to "bitdefender" and see what they have to say.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only difference it makes is in how you access the BD folder in Win 8.1 should you need to uninstall it, but it looks like it has its own wizard when uninstalling it from Programs and Features.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support...2016-1512.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried to send the file to them, but their "customer response system" won't let me because I don't have a licence number and thus their automated response system will not work without it. Any further suggestions?

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The only difference it makes is in how you access the BD folder in Win 8.1 should you need to uninstall it, but it looks like it has its own wizard when uninstalling it from Programs and Features.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support...2016-1512.html
    I tried following their procedure, but I cannot even find "BitDefender" in the list of programs in the Control Panels "Uninstall a Program" listing. Any next steps?

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you look to the top right you will see the options for directly contact where you can either email, chat, forum or phone.

I would suggest you try the chat as long as it isn't a robot you end up speaking to.

Symantec when they are looking into problems for you will often hook into your computer to see what is going on.

If this is the case with the BD chat, then they will be able to see the message for themselves.

EDIT - As for uninstalling, scroll down to the bottom of that article and you will see a link to download the Uninstaller.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it BD antivirus you have or just the Scanner ?

That uninstaller may not work for the scanner and this method is offered for that -

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support...thod-1084.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also tried using their "Uninstaller" and that seemed to just get into a cycle of doing the same thing over and over and over, so I closed it. I guess I will reboot and see if the error message comes up again.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Probably posting at the same time - see my last post.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I rebooted, the error message still comes up, so my attempt to remove the product using their uninstaller didn't work. I will try the chat later this morning and see what happens.

You are right, we are posting at the same time - no problem, I very much appreciate your help with this matter.

Do you have any idea how this product would have gotten onto my computer, because I never knowingly installed it?

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never heard of the BD Scanner being bundled with other software downloads before and while I know it is their freebie, thought it would be the user's choice to download it.

How long have you had it on and can you associate it with any other program you have downloaded and not bothered to check for any bundled software check boxes or chose the Express install option ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure how long I have had it, nor can I associate it with any other program installation, unless I missed it on a bundled installation. I doubt that it came bundled, as I make it a point to check of, or uncheck, all the potential "freebie-ware" that I do know comes bundled with other products these days. So unless it didn't advertise itself as part of a "bundle", then where it came from is a puzzle to me.

Ron M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast