Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD 0x0000007B (0xF789e524) need lots of help

I have been setting up and old Dell E310 machine running Windows XP Media Center. I have worked on it for days, and I had it nearly complete. The last step was to add a HIS Video card 5450 that had a PCIe X1 card slot. When I installed the card and booted up the computer, I got the Windows XP splash screen, but a dark screen after that. I then installed the driver from the CD that came with the card, but it didn't help. In then uninstalled the driver and removed the card. Somehow in this process the blue screen of death popped up. The error code says there is a driver conflict. I'm guessing it is a video driver conflict? Anyway, the BSOD freezes the computer, and it won't boot up. I am able to press F2 to go to "set up", and I am able to press F12 to go to "boot", and I am also able to get the computer to boot from a Hiren's Boot CD. I was able to turn the registry back to a date before this happened, but that didn't help. Also a CHKDSK /F from Hirens Boot CD did not show anything.

Does anybody have an idea how I can get out of this situation? I have turned this computer into junk right now. Of course I don't have an XP CD, and I've read stories on the internet about folks that had the CD, and reinstalling didn't help. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Endzone; 2016-04-07 at 22:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I should add too that I tried to follow some instructions on the internet to fix my video card problem, part of the steps was to run msconfig.exe and then select the boot.ini tab. Then I checked "boot in safe mode" and exited and then restarted the computer. This is when I could not get past the BSOD. Thanks for any help on this. I think I may have lost my computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you boot into the BIOS to check the SATA settings - you may need to change it to ATA or IDE I think it is.

Thanks
    "I have been ............ add a HIS Video card 5450 that had a PCIe X1 card slot. .............BSOD freezes the computer, and it won't boot up. ..............

Does anybody have an idea how I can get out of this situation?" ...........

Is this the original spec graphics card that came with the machine?

Thanks
    A 0x7B bugcheck after a boot.ini modification and Safe Mode, that reads like the boot.ini mod. + Safe Mode gives the equivalent of a Clean Boot but, MSConfig had previously been used to temporarily disable a startup entry that has since been uninstalled/removed, resulting in any boot attempt crashing because a file (likely a driver marked as Boot/System) required under those parameters, is missing.

If you cannot use Last Known Good configuration (try this several times, there should be a number of versions saved) System Restore or a recent Image to recover, any further attempts to fix it would require 'offline' access to the drive to attempt manual Registry/file repairs (back to Hiren's?).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Can you boot into the BIOS to check the SATA settings - you may need to change it to ATA or IDE I think it is.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have done this a couple of times, but it made no difference:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moonlite View Post
    "I have been ............ add a HIS Video card 5450 that had a PCIe X1 card slot. .............BSOD freezes the computer, and it won't boot up. ..............

Does anybody have an idea how I can get out of this situation?" ...........

Is this the original spec graphics card that came with the machine?

This is the first video card ever put in this machine. It is 10 years old. The original video is from the graphics on the motherboard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    A 0x7B bugcheck after a boot.ini modification and Safe Mode, that reads like the boot.ini mod. + Safe Mode gives the equivalent of a Clean Boot but, MSConfig had previously been used to temporarily disable a startup entry that has since been uninstalled/removed, resulting in any boot attempt crashing because a file (likely a driver marked as Boot/System) required under those parameters, is missing.

If you cannot use Last Known Good configuration (try this several times, there should be a number of versions saved) System Restore or a recent Image to recover, any further attempts to fix it would require 'offline' access to the drive to attempt manual Registry/file repairs (back to Hiren's?).
    Thank you for responding, and thanks for your explanation. That makes sense to me. I did try "Recover to the last known good configuration" several times. It doesn't matter what mode I select, the computer boots and stops at the blue screen. I also was able to boot with the Hiren's boot CD, and using the "mini XP mode", I was able to move the registry back before this event, but it didn't help either. Is there another function on Hiren's that might help? I don't think I can do a system restore from Hirens, and I don't have an image backup.

I tried to insert a few screen shots that I took with my camera, but it looks like I'll need moderator approval to insert them. Thanks for all your suggestions!

BTW, a fellow on another board (air conditioning) posted some video of Cardiff from on top of a high rise hotel he was working on. It looks like a beautiful city really--the downtown area with a mix of the old and new. I've been to all 7 continents and Greenland, but I've never been to Cardiff. I live in Ft. Worth, TX, USA
    Last edited by Endzone; 2016-04-08 at 11:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are the screen shots in the sequence:

Thanks
    * This topic is a major reason why MSConfig should only be used for temporary troubleshooting. Once the problematic Startup is found, MSConfig should be reset to normal and a tool like Autoruns should then be used to remove the 'bad' entry permanently and the software relating to the 'bad' Startup should be uninstalled.*

If you can use Hiren's to find and remove the 'bad' entry, the disabled entries should (ordinarily) be in these locations on XP:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

As always when working with the Windows Registry, make a backup before you begin.

EDIT: Try this first, you might now have all entries, including those previously disabled by MSConfig, back in the 'normal' locations:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run and Load

So, if you can recall the old disabled entries, you can remove them there.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-04-08 at 11:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    * This topic is a major reason why MSConfig should only be used for temporary troubleshooting. Once the problematic Startup is found, MSConfig should be reset to normal and a tool like Autoruns should then be used to remove the 'bad' entry permanently and the software relating to the 'bad' Startup should be uninstalled.*

If you can use Hiren's to find and remove the 'bad' entry, the disabled entries should (ordinarily) be in these locations on XP:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

As always when working with the Windows Registry, make a backup before you begin.
    Thank you sir, I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    See my Edit first!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will help, but I pressed the F12 key on startup and selected "Boot to the utility program".

Then I selected "Symptom Tree"

Then I selected "Can not boot the OS"

Still in memory check.

so sorry about the first picture. I had the wrong number.
    Last edited by Endzone; 2016-04-08 at 11:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    See my Edit first!
    Roger that.

Thanks
    A 0x7B wouldn't be a memory issue, I doubt if Dell have anything in their troubleshooter/tests that will detect or repair the problem as I see it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast