Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa, usa
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    security alert message ?

    on our laptop we get a message that says Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?

    This seems to happen on Facebook. Do no get this on the desktop. on the certificate it says the certificate purpose is to ensure the identity of a remote computer. Issued to maestro.mediacomcc.com. That sounds like my internet service.

    Issued by Symantic: class 3 secure server CA-G4. Do you know what this means? Is it a setting on our laptop? What happens if we continue or don't?

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Do you log into Facebook with https://www.facebook.com or with http://www.facebook.com?

    If you log in with https, then a certificate will be involved in the process. It sounds like the certificate might be expired.

    Try logging in with http, to see if the message goes away.

    If you use http, your session won't be secure. It's probably not a big deal, unless you're doing confidential stuff.

  3. #3
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,168
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 978 Times in 908 Posts
    If you are getting a certificate issued to your ISP then it's something on you ISP's site, or they are intercepting your browser traffic.
    Can you paste details about the certificate and web site you are connecting to?

    cheers, Paul

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    I get that intermittently when doing online banking and when I contacted the bank about it, they said it was okay, but I wasn't sure if that was a fob off.

    When I Googled that http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Revocation+info...+to+proceed%3F I came across a few suggestions but one that I tried - can't remember which now, didn't work and as it's only intermittent I just click on Yes and get on with it.

    I haven't suffered anything adverse because of it but I have been thinking about contacting my bank about it again.

  5. #5
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I get that intermittently when doing online banking and when I contacted the bank about it, they said it was okay, but I wasn't sure if that was a fob off.

    When I Googled that http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Revocation+info...+to+proceed%3F I came across a few suggestions but one that I tried - can't remember which now, didn't work and as it's only intermittent I just click on Yes and get on with it.

    I haven't suffered anything adverse because of it but I have been thinking about contacting my bank about it again.
    Many banks don't have up-to-date security for their online banking. Sudo, I hope you are right when you say that you haven't suffered anything adverse because of it.

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If you are getting a certificate issued to your ISP then it's something on you ISP's site, or they are intercepting your browser traffic.
    Can you paste details about the certificate and web site you are connecting to?

    cheers, Paul
    This site has a good read as well as a tool that addresses that.
    https://www.grc.com/fingerprints.htm


    Sudo: I don't think you are paranoid enough. Or maybe I am too paranoid, if I did do online banking it would be a standalone Linux box and then carefully.
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Many banks don't have up-to-date security for their online banking. Sudo, I hope you are right when you say that you haven't suffered anything adverse because of it.
    Funnily enough, I've just had the alert when I clicked on your hyperlink - does that mean that you have linked an unsafe website ?

    My bank must be satisfied with their online security as unlike some banks, I haven't been requested to install something like Trusteer Rapport and nothing has happened to my accounts.

  8. #8
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Funnily enough, I've just had the alert when I clicked on your hyperlink - does that mean that you have linked an unsafe website ?
    LOL!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    My bank must be satisfied with their online security as unlike some banks, I haven't been requested to install something like Trusteer Rapport and nothing has happened to my accounts.
    One of my banks had a link to a site which rated how secure banks' online banking was. The bank in question got a very poor score from the people they recommended I check out! When I asked them about it, they said, "Our IT people assure us that we are secure!" They're never going to tell you that they aren't secure.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    I don't think the person I spoke to at my bank gave me that sort of assurance, just that it was okay to carry on.

    I get the message on other websites as recently demonstrated, so something else must be going on.

    I think these website owners have to pay MS to have their certificates authenticated or whatever they have to do with them and perhaps they have had enough of shelling out and after they've expired, they don't bother, but the message would appear to be becoming more prevalent given the complaints and requests for help which probably account for the number of Google links in how to try and fix this.

  10. #10
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,367
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    BTW an incorrect time and date setting can cause that too. That is an easy fix.
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  11. #11
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Firefox, if that is your browser, may be the source of the message, depending on the version of Firefox. Check in the relevant forum for firestorms about Firefox, complete with the pros and cons. Even or especially Kaspersky Safe Money is, so to speak, not safe, and certain banking sites (or maybe it's Kaspersky) will tell you how to deal with it.

    Amendment: the precise wording of your message is, I think, from Windows, but it is not unlike the Firefox firestorm.

    The problem with the latest(?) major upgrade of Firefox is they simply disabled many extensions, and the message that goes with it is ‘could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled’ – and that included such things as the Kaspersky extension(s).

    Some views were that Firefox was just catching up when it comes to security, others were outraged that their favourite add-ins had been disabled.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2016-04-10 at 20:38. Reason: Expanded

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 869 Times in 831 Posts
    I use IE 11 so it isn't browser specific.

  13. #13
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    554
    Thanked 137 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    .... When I asked them about it, they said, "Our IT people assure us that we are secure!" They're never going to tell you that they aren't secure.
    That is what the IT people always say at any company I can actually find an email address to let them know about an insecurity. Even with me providing a link or two as to the insecurity, they don't care. I however do and can almost always find a competitor with better security. The airlines have been an exception. Horrid online security, don't care and don't fix.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •