2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Never10

We have an older laptop that needed a Win7 "re-up". Because of the hybrid video setup Intel/Nvidia, it doesn't lend itself to a manageable Win10 upgrade w/o disabling HDMI ports and the inability to update video drivers, so WinHP is it for this machine.

So, I have done a clean install and about 40 updates have been downloaded and installed including SP successfully. But the rest of the updates are taking forever and from what I gather that's not unusual. It is a pretty painful process that I foresee is going to go on for hours. The first bunch did okay and seemed to run pretty fast and normally, the machine has been "checking for updates" for a couple of hours now.

Because the laptop is a poor selection for a Win10 upgrade, I intend to install Never10, but my question is this. I have a list of the KB's that need to be hidden, so as i go through the updates I can hide them, but should I install Never10 before I get the 200+ or so updates that will be downloaded. I would think after the deed is done would be the proper time, but I don't want any surprises along that way.

Thanks.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Run Never10 now and again after the updates.

Sometimes updates won't load if the W10 upgrade is due, so turn it off early.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much. I'll give it a go.

D
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    So, I have done a clean install and about 40 updates have been downloaded and installed including SP successfully. But the rest of the updates are taking forever and from what I gather that's not unusual. It is a pretty painful process that I foresee is going to go on for hours. The first bunch did okay and seemed to run pretty fast and normally, the machine has been "checking for updates" for a couple of hours now.
    Susan Bradley's The best way to rebuild Windows 7 from scratch suggests installing February’s patch for the Windows Update (WU) client — KB 3135445 before the remaining 100+ updates.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Susan Bradley's The best way to rebuild Windows 7 from scratch suggests installing February’s patch for the Windows Update (WU) client — KB 3135445 before the remaining 100+ updates.
    Thank you for bringing Susan Bradley's article to my attention. I must have missed it because we have only one Win7 machine in the house that doesn't get used much. I have to say that installing Win 7 this time was the most painful experience of my life and I've done many OS installs. The first time, I did the clean install I couldn't get many of the updates to install. After reading the article and getting the recommended downloads, I started over and this time all went well, the last install being Never10.

I got thru all the updates except for 60 importants and 60 or so optionals and they just stopped coming. I did complete the 90 or so hotfixes referred to in Susan's article. There was a total of 150 or so updates I think after the hotfixes. But, Never10 would seem to fit my needs for this lowly laptop. KB313445 did seem to help. I never thought a Win7 install would be so complicated. I just hope when the old laptop get fired up, I can get the rest of the updates and it just doesn't sit there dead again.

Diane

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP
    I have to say that installing Win 7 this time was the most painful experience of my life and I've done many OS installs. The first time, I did the clean install I couldn't get many of the updates to install. After reading the article and getting the recommended downloads, I started over and this time all went well, the last install being Never10.

I got thru all the updates except for 60 importants and 60 or so optionals and they just stopped coming. I did complete the 90 or so hotfixes referred to in Susan's article. There was a total of 150 or so updates I think after the hotfixes. But, Never10 would seem to fit my needs for this lowly laptop. KB313445 did seem to help. I never thought a Win7 install would be so complicated. I just hope when the old laptop get fired up, I can get the rest of the updates and it just doesn't sit there dead again.
    If you ever have to do a Win 7 re-install from scratch then I recommend using the free utility WSUS Offline Update. It lets you download all the relevant updates in one fell swoop, including SP1, then allows you to apply them all in the right order with automatic rebooting/recall. It's so much easier than doing it manually... just let it get on with it until it's finished.

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just happened to watch the youtube video of a guy showing how to use the utility yesterday, but I have so much time invested now in this little exercise, I thought I'd try to fix it. I'm going to have to do something because I ran the microsoft troubleshooter for update issues and came up with a service registration error and WU error 0x80070057. I got those fixed and am checking for updates again to see if I can continue on.

I don't understand how they occurred because after I got all done with getting the downloads from SB's article and started the updates they downloaded and installed like gangbusters and then just stopped. I am going to try the Software Distribution file flush that worked for me a long time ago on my desktop, but I might have to give up after that. Fortunately, I created a restore point before getting any updates so I don't have to go through reinstalling Win 7 for the third time and am feeling the pain.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    If you ever have to do a Win 7 re-install from scratch then I recommend using the free utility WSUS Offline Update. It lets you download all the relevant updates in one fell swoop, including SP1, then allows you to apply them all in the right order with automatic rebooting/recall. It's so much easier than doing it manually... just let it get on with it until it's finished.

Hope this helps...

I thought I'd share the outcome of the last time I hope to have to install Win7 for anyone with any interest

Thanks for the suggestion. WSUS Offline was the only way I could get a trouble-free fully functional Win7 HP to work properly. After 3 days of fooling around with Windows and sitting watching checking for updates spin for hours, the average time it takes for Win7 now to check for updates is 10 minutes. Installing them is speedy and is now working the way it should. There were a few stragglers for updates, but nothing of major significance.

I was surprised at how up to date WSUS actually was. The lastest one seems to be about a month old. I also used my last retail copy of the Win7 Family Pack I had to do the install rather than the OEM prod ID on the bottom of the laptop. The activation happened in about 3 seconds.

I really wished SBradley's rebuild advice worked for me, because the check for updates, downloads and installs did work at first, but I was left with about 60 importants and 60 optionals that were not going to get on the laptop even after two overnights. There were service registration errors and another Windows error 0x8.....something, something that I thought I'd fixed, but to no avail.

Before I installed the updates from WSUS, I did install Never10 that sits there quietly doing its job. I hope my post is not too OT, but just thought I'd share with someone who may have some interest. The lowly Asus UL50V is now useable and safe from the upgrade to Win10 for which it isn't suited very well.

Diane

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeachesP For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-04-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please download the newest version of Never10 (v1.3.1), which was released April 18.
    v1.3 has the ability to remove the Win10 install files and can reclaim a few gigabytes of space.

Never10 is a portable app - you can easily copy to a Win7/8.1 PC and you can remove it.

So if you are using an old version of Never10, delete it and download the newest version.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to np-7930 For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-06-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by np-7930
    Please download the newest version of Never10 (v1.3.1), which was released April 18.
    Thanks for the info about the update.