3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't open unknown file type error

Hi,

This is a simple one.
    Can open file only internally from the program, but not by right clicking file viewed thru WE or any other file mgr.
    Recently set the association "png" to this file type many times trying to fix this error to no avail. Even saved the file under a different name, that didn't work either.

Any ideas what's next?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I'm just dense, but please answer these questions.

What is the program which you say does properly open the file?
    You say it is "unknown file type"... Is the actual file extension "PNG"?

RockE

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On my system Windows Photo Viewer is the default app for PNG files.
    To change / set the association, right click on the file and select Open With > Choose Default Program.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Re, Paul's suggestion - uncheck the box to always use that default program until you have found the right one which will open it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Perhaps I'm just dense, but please answer these questions.

What is the program which you say does properly open the file?
    You say it is "unknown file type"... Is the actual file extension "PNG"?

RockE
    RockE,

The program is Fireworks & its native format is PNG. The actual PNG file contains many images in it that i use regularly and export in any format I need. Been using Fireworks with W7 pro 32 bit for years with no association problems. Images below were created/edited in Fireworks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    On my system Windows Photo Viewer is the default app for PNG files.
    To change / set the association, right click on the file and select Open With > Choose Default Program.

cheers, Paul
    Paul T,

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. See image below. Fireworks has been my default .png image manager for over 18 yr. And its preformed flawlessly & creatively with all versions of W. thru 7 32 bit.

Thanks
    I would suggest telling WExplorer TO display extensions. (Selection under TOOLS: FOLDER OPTIONS:VIEW. ) After confirming the extension IS PNG , set Windows Photo Viewer as the default Viewer for that extension(png) file type. Then try to open a PNG file not created/edited w/ Fireworks with a double left click. What happens?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I would suggest telling WExplorer TO display extensions. (Selection under TOOLS: FOLDER OPTIONS:VIEW. ) After confirming the extension IS PNG , set Windows Photo Viewer as the default Viewer for that extension(png) file type. Then try to open a PNG file not created/edited w/ Fireworks with a double left click. What happens?
    Wavy,

Thanks, it worked, but did not solve the problem. Still can't natively open the Firefox program or any png file & go directly to Fireworks as Ive been doing for 18 yr.

FYI: TOOLS: FOLDER OPTIONS:VIEW seems like an odd place to put that option?? This is strange because that particular ext is very important to expeditious information Mgmt. Experience, Logic, & Common Sense dictates that rt cklng on menu bar allows one to select the ext option.

I use FW many times daily, how can I just rt clk on the png ext from WE and launch the file and/or the program?

cheers,

klx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
    Wavy,

Thanks, it worked, but did not solve the problem. Still can't natively open the Firefox program or any png file & go directly to Fireworks as Ive been doing for 18 yr.

FYI: TOOLS: FOLDER OPTIONS:VIEW seems like an odd place to put that option?? This is strange because that particular ext is very important to expeditious information Mgmt. Experience, Logic, & Common Sense dictates that rt cklng on menu bar allows one to select the ext option.

I use FW many times daily, how can I just rt clk on the png ext from WE and launch the file and/or the program?

cheers,

klx
    I am thinking I have misunderstood you. Did you mean Right Clicking and choosing Fireworks from the Context Menu? ( I was assuming (yeah I know) that you were just clicking the Open option. ) If so that is likely to be an in program option that was changed or somehow lost. Can you fine an in program option that would effect that? If so cycle it off and on and see if it works.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am thinking I have misunderstood you. Did you mean Right Clicking and choosing Fireworks from the Context Menu? ( I was assuming (yeah I know) that you were just clicking the Open option. ) If so that is likely to be an in program option that was changed or somehow lost. Can you fine an in program option that would effect that? If so cycle it off and on and see if it works.

Thanks fro your quick response. I access most of my software from my WE, and the drop-down "open with". Sometimes i do acces my files from the program from the program that created. Now, I remember you helped me last yr with a problem.

I may not be a techie, but I push Win hard: above the "Code & Hdwe" And when you use it to fight fight a new war (business is a war) every week, it eventually gets wounded & malfunctions.

You and others in this forum have given me some ideas and I'll create the dots I need to get to a solution. If not, I'll be back in a week or so as now I'm in NJ visiting grandkids.

Below are some fresh baked cookies to pass around to all the helpful guys on the form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post

Below are some fresh baked cookies to pass around to all the helpful guys on the form.
    Oh gggod I just ate a half box of oat meal raisin. If I have one more bite I might explode all over my kb.

Hope you get it going!

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh gggod I just ate a half box of oat meal raisin. If I have one more bite I might explode all over my kb.

Hope you get it going!

I will. I'll re-install Fireworks that will probably do it.
    BTW, grandkids liked the bouncing M&Ms.

klx