New Lounger
    Thanks

Updated Win 10 uses Win 7 start screen as default at startup

I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool on a USB stick. Update went well and windows 10 is working very well. When it starts up, the Windows 7 screen is shown with the new Windows 10 start button. When I press the start button, Windows 10 full screen is shown and everything operates as it should. When I open a program from the windows 10 startup screen it works . However when I am finished and close that program it reverts back to the Win 7 opening screen. I have been unable to find a way in options to make the Win 10 screen the default. Although it doe not prevent the system from working it is frustrating to always having to press the start button to get back to the Win 10 start screen. Any help is appreciated.
    Peter Emch

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What you have is the default Windows 10 menu for a desktop or laptop.

If you want a full start screen; right-click on a blank area of the taskbar and choose Properties, click the Start Menu tab, uncheck "Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen.", click OK. You will be warned that you need to sign out and back in before the change will occur.

Thanks
    agreed, this was an issue with a friend after upgrading recently, to win10. but the desktop looks similar to the Win7 desktop and grabs the same background image as it upgrades.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce,
    thanks for your suggestion, Unfortunately the Task Bar and Start Menu box that opens when I click on the task bar is the Win 7 rather than the Win 10 version and therefore does not have a start menu tab. Is there another way we can get the same results
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    this link helped my friend and the changes they needed to create the desktop they wanted.
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...ke-windows-8-1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pemch View Post
    Bruce,
    thanks for your suggestion, Unfortunately the Task Bar and Start Menu box that opens when I click on the task bar is the Win 7 rather than the Win 10 version and therefore does not have a start menu tab. Is there another way we can get the same results
    When you're running Windows 10, there's no Windows 7 start screen or taskbar or anything (except Backup and Restore).

But my instructions were for Windows 10 Technical Preview; sorry. It's now at Start, Settings, Personalization, Start, Use Start full screen.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-04-11 at 21:10.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-04-12),pemch (2016-04-12)

Thanks
    You don't have an alternate shell like Classic Shell or Start is Back by any chance?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce
    Somehow it appears like I have a hybrid on my laptop now. In Win 7 start screen right clicking the task bar gives me Win 7 Taskbar and Start Menu box. When I go to Win 10 settings. The Ůse Start full screen`is on. To make sure you understand my problem When I boot the machine it starts up with the Win 7 start screen, except that the start button on bottom left is the Win 10 start button. I can start programs and operate all as if I was in Win 7. However when I click on the Win 10 start button, The Win 10 start screen appears and I can start and operate programs from that screen without any problems, except when I close a program I was working on, the machine reverts to the Win 7 start screen each time. I find that the programs open faster in from the Win 10 tiles than from the Win 7 icons on the desktop, and it is frustrating to each time have to hit the start button to bring up the Win 10 screen when I want to work in a different program. I want the machine to boot in the Win 10 start screen and return to it whenever programs are closed. Is that not how it should work
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    I suspect that a few screenshots might help here....
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the answer here may be: That's how Windows 10 works (unlike Windows 8).

If you want the start screen always present (e.g. when you close a program), switch on Tablet mode at Settings, System, Tablet mode (or in the Action center).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

pemch (2016-04-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think the answer here may be: That's how Windows 10 works (unlike Windows 8).

If you want the start screen always present (e.g. when you close a program), switch on Tablet mode at Settings, System, Tablet mode (or in the Action center).
    OK, I'm confused! how do you get the Windows 10 desktop to look the same as the Windows 7 one? I'm using desktop mode, but it's not the same as Windows 7s Desktop. The shapes of the taskbar and it's buttons are different, the symbol on the start button is different, the standard icons are different,....

I've seen other people say they have the Windows 7 desktop too. What gives?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce
    The problem is solved. As you recommended, turn on the tablet format under system/tablet, but leave Hide icons turned off. Then right click task bar as before and check "show all notification icons". Result the Win 10 start screen is on at all times and the icons in the task bar show up as well. Don't know if that is what MS intended for normal start screen but is what I wanted. Thanks for your help and patience. Looks like with some trial and error you can get almost anything you want. It looks like we are almost back to the dog wagging the tail. Thanks again
    Peter Emch

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct re the task bar symbols and start button. However the background and program icons are the same as Win 7, no tiles.
    Peter Emch