Thread: Vpn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vpn

Hi
    I am changing over our network from a workgroup to a domain. I know that I can set up a VPN through the server. My question is: Is that connection just going to be with the server or will I be able to set it up to connect directly with a particular workstation on the Domain?
    Thanks very much!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you use the server as the VPN endpoint then the connection will be just with the server. To gain access to resources on the network at anything that resembles speed you need to either remote control a workstation or set up Terminal Services on the server. You could just use TeamViewer to connect directly to a workstation - be sure you have a strong password for TeamViewer and limit the connection via the router.

Personally I'd never have a server connected directly to the internet, to big a risk.

p.s. Why are you converting from workgroup to domain? Do you really want the extra admin overhead?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. We are changing to an ERP suite and it has to run on a domain, otherwise I wouldn't do it. The workgroup has served me well.

Lou

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ask if you need help with the domain - 'aint no small thing.

cheers, Paul